Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AC Tech Says My AC is Overamping

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

AC Tech Says My AC is Overamping

Morning. I am new to this forum and I need some advice. I have a 3 ton Trane XE 1000 (10 SEER) that is 11 years old. Had our tech come out for semi annual check up and he tells me that the outside AC (we have a split system with gas furnace) is pulling 11 amps and that is should only be 7.5. He says that this will be a problem when the unit is under a summer load and that it will fail. The weather on the day of his visit was in the low to mid 70s. Consequently, I started the process of pricing new units, but I am not 100% sure that I need one now. Any and all input will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Post Likes
    the max run load amps on a trane 3 ton xe 1000 is way more than 7.5 . also a worn contactor or weak run cap can cause high amp draw . there is a tag on the side of the outdoor unit that shows the electrical data have you looked at it

Post Likes
    I wouldn't jump the gun or pull the trigger on a new unit yet. Did he go over the unit and entire system throughly? Check all electrical connections in the unit, the disconnect and the breaker panel? Check the condition of the contactor, test the capacitor? Clean the outdoor coil, check the indoor coil, clean and or replace the air filter? Check super heat and subcool? There are reasons a unit can draw more amps than it should normally, if it was really even doing that. How has the unit checked out in the past? Have you been having problems with the unit or your household electrical system? Was he checking amp draw on just the compressor or the entire condenser? Identify the actual problem first, then formulate a course of action.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Post Likes
    Thanks for the replies. Obviously, I am a typical consumer with no technical knowledge of HVAC. We have used the same company for years, even though we never see the same tech twice. As usual, I have no real idea of what he actually did or didn't do, I have to just trust things were done appropriately...which is an uncomfortable position to be in. I looked at the plate on the side of the unit and it says that the RLA should be 19.3. We have had no problems whatsoever with this unit. I change the air filter regularly; beyond that, I have relied on the annual AC checkups.

What else can I tell you that will help you?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by dmarkturner View Post
    Thanks for the replies. Obviously, I am a typical consumer with no technical knowledge of HVAC. We have used the same company for years, even though we never see the same tech twice. As usual, I have no real idea of what he actually did or didn't do, I have to just trust things were done appropriately...which is an uncomfortable position to be in. I looked at the plate on the side of the unit and it says that the RLA should be 19.3. We have had no problems whatsoever with this unit. I change the air filter regularly; beyond that, I have relied on the annual AC checkups.

time to get 2nd opinion from different company. if you don't want to do that and
    if you want to stay with the same company I'd recommend calling and talking to the service manager and get an explanation

Post Likes

That you will be requesting a different tech or a different contractor in the future.

While the amperage will increase and decrease with the heat load, I don't know how he could determine that it should only be pulling 7.5 amps. Eleven amps is just a bit over half the RLA for this unit and would not so much as raise my eyebrows given low to mid 70's.

As stated, other factors can cause high amperage.

Post Likes
    You could call the company back and ask the service manager to explain what they found and possibly come take another look.

Post Likes
    If your unit is a TTR036, the compressor is pulling less than half of its rated run load amps(RLA).

If it is a TTR036D, with a scroll compressor, the rated RLA is 19.3A
    Name:  ttro36drla.jpg
Views: 8393
Size:  69.5 KB

If it is a TTR036C, with a reciprocating compressor, the rated RLA is 16.2A
    Name:  ttr036crla.jpg
Views: 8121
Size:  70.2 KB

The RLA may be slightly different if it is a TWR036 heat pump, but not substantially.

Post Likes
    The tech told me that the amps should be one half of the rla...is that an accurate statement?

I agree with a couple of you that I should call the manager and get a more complete explanation as to what was actually done and what the findings were.

Post Likes
    The tech told me that the amps should be one half of the rla...is that an accurate statement?

I agree with a couple of you that I should call the manager and get a more complete explanation as to what was actually done and what the findings were.
    No. And why did he say the amps should be 7.5 which is far less than half the RLA of 19 and change?

I would call the service manager and see if he would come out himself and explain. And check the electrical components right in front of you; including voltage drops across the disconnect and contactor, data plate voltage v. actual voltage and the strength of the run capacitor. All of which would take less than 10 minutes. You could also see him take the amp reading while he is there - perhaps on a warmer day.

However you run the risk that the service manager will attempt to save face and double down on a goofy tech.

Post Likes
    hurtinhvac, that is exactly what I am going to do...and if he does double down on a goofy tech, then my next step is to get a second opinion from another company.

Thanks so much.

Post Likes
    The actual amp draw of the compressor will vary with both the indoor conditions and the outdoor conditions of the time it is being checked. The outdoor temps may have been low and the indoor temp and humidity may have been low when he was checking it.

Either a new tech, or a selling tech.

Post Likes
    He claimed he'd been "doing this for 22 years"...either a learning disability or he's on commission!

Post Likes
    Maybe you just misinterpreted or the tech miscomminicated what he was trying to explain. I would give them another chance to explain what was found. If the same company has been servicing your equipment for a while and haven't sold you any unnecessary stuff over the years then they may just be trying to help you out by giving you a heads up before you have a breakdown when its 100 degrees out and you have 50 people over for a party.

Post Likes
    if the unit is working properly i would take a wait and see .

Post Likes
    without knowing what the tech was measuring, it's hard to determine what he found, but 7.5 amps is nowhere near an overamp situation. 11 amps is just slightly above 1/2 the rated ampdraw for the compressor alone. if he's measuring the entire amp draw of the system, it's got another 2 amps from the OFM...
    now, he may be correct your system is a low efficiency model compared to what's available today, but if it's not leaking refrigerant, and it's operating well, I'd have it cleaned for the season, all the capacitors checked and roll with it for the next 11 years...
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    Maybe he was talking about the condenser fan motor? Possibly a misunderstanding.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    Maybe he was talking about the condenser fan motor? Possibly a misunderstanding.

Pretty big misunderstanding...7.5 amps fpr a CFM? And when you are suggesting replacing a ten year old system that's been operating fine as far as we know; you had better have all I's dotted and all T's crossed. Really no room for misunderstandings in this scenario...

Post Likes
    I agree with the OFM statement... it could be pulling 1.1 amps and have a 0.75FLA and this could just be a miscommunication. And on a mild day, you won't be using your AC, but on a hot day, where you're using it, an over-amping OFM will fail eventually and he is talking about replacing just that. Whether it takes one hot day of constant use or all summer, nobody can say.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Strkout499 View Post
    I agree with the OFM statement... it could be pulling 1.1 amps and have a 0.75FLA and this could just be a miscommunication. And on a mild day, you won't be using your AC, but on a hot day, where you're using it, an over-amping OFM will fail eventually and he is talking about replacing just that. Whether it takes one hot day of constant use or all summer, nobody can say.
    i dought he is talking about the fan motor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in