Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Maybe you just misinterpreted or the tech miscomminicated what he was trying to explain. I would give them another chance to explain what was found. If the same company has been servicing your equipment for a while and haven't sold you any unnecessary stuff over the years then they may just be trying to help you out by giving you a heads up before you have a breakdown when its 100 degrees out and you have 50 people over for a party.

if the unit is working properly i would take a wait and see .
    We really need change now

without knowing what the tech was measuring, it's hard to determine what he found, but 7.5 amps is nowhere near an overamp situation. 11 amps is just slightly above 1/2 the rated ampdraw for the compressor alone. if he's measuring the entire amp draw of the system, it's got another 2 amps from the OFM...
    now, he may be correct your system is a low efficiency model compared to what's available today, but if it's not leaking refrigerant, and it's operating well, I'd have it cleaned for the season, all the capacitors checked and roll with it for the next 11 years...
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...
    The three big summer hearththrobs...
    Mel Gibson
    Dwane Johnson
    The A/C repairman

Maybe he was talking about the condenser fan motor? Possibly a misunderstanding.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Quote Originally Posted by bmathews View Post
    Maybe he was talking about the condenser fan motor? Possibly a misunderstanding.

Pretty big misunderstanding...7.5 amps fpr a CFM? And when you are suggesting replacing a ten year old system that's been operating fine as far as we know; you had better have all I's dotted and all T's crossed. Really no room for misunderstandings in this scenario...

I agree with the OFM statement... it could be pulling 1.1 amps and have a 0.75FLA and this could just be a miscommunication. And on a mild day, you won't be using your AC, but on a hot day, where you're using it, an over-amping OFM will fail eventually and he is talking about replacing just that. Whether it takes one hot day of constant use or all summer, nobody can say.

Quote Originally Posted by Strkout499 View Post
    I agree with the OFM statement... it could be pulling 1.1 amps and have a 0.75FLA and this could just be a miscommunication. And on a mild day, you won't be using your AC, but on a hot day, where you're using it, an over-amping OFM will fail eventually and he is talking about replacing just that. Whether it takes one hot day of constant use or all summer, nobody can say.
    i dought he is talking about the fan motor
    We really need change now

I wanted to let all of you that offered advice know how this situation was resolved. As advised, I contacted the tech's supervisor and relayed my story and concerns. He listened and was very interested in making this right. He offered to have one of his senior techs come out and totally redo the service at no charge. It was found that even though the unit was pulling a few more amps than a new unit, that it was well within specs and not ready for the junk heap yet. He did say that a tech should never tell a customer that their unit was definitely going to fail at some specific time because they obviously don't know how long a unit will run. He did say that ours was at the point that I should be prepared to replace it in the next couple of years, depending, but that he didn't recommend purchasing a new one at this time. He also told me that the units serviced were not cleaned properly (at all) and he took care of that as well. I think that the company did what they should have done and I am a satisfied customer.
    Thanks to all of you for helping me out with this.

Sounds like a good company, with an over zealous tech. Glad they did right by you.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Glad to hear.

Thank you for following up with us and giving the contractor the chance to make it right. And on behalf of the first tech; who hopefully will become a better one or get weeded out of the industry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12