Water leaking from emergency drain, has never cooled well, high electric bill.

6 or 7 year town home complex, all 2 story with zoning.

Maybe this has something to do with the drain issue?

The reason it was so far out of level became frighteningly clear!
    I'm glad I didn't set my tool bag down on top of the air handler when I walked up to it.

The poor cooling and high utility bills were due to the arm on the bypass damper being on the supply air side of the damper, and taped in place holding the bypass fully open all of the time.
    Also, it is a 12" bypass on a 3 ton system, which is grossly over sized, even if it was set up to work correctly.

A couple of years ago I reinstalled the air handler that had actually fallen down onto the attic floor at one of his neighbors town home. It was installed pretty much the same way.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Guess they never heard of unistruts .... among other things

You're really cleaning out your picture archives the last few days eh? I don't know anything about installing and I think I could make a better attempt at it than that....

Just out of curiosity, what was the Delta T across the coil? With the bypass wide open and not tapped into the R/A further upstream, coil freezing must have been the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by jpbhvac View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what was the Delta T across the coil? With the bypass wide open and not tapped into the R/A further upstream, coil freezing must have been the norm.
    Beats me, I didn't do anything but document the immediate problems that had to be addressed before I'd do any testing on the unit.
    No way I was going to drill test holes, or even remove a panel on that unit as it hangs.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

I have never seen a AHU installed with duct strap in someones home. The only units i have used duct strap is VAV units and they were not nearly heavy as that and its anchored into concrete not wood. That is just to funny. Its been a while since i've done resi install's, but we used to make a platform out of plywood and 2x4's. Only took a hour or two to build one.

I personally like the zone board mounted to the strapping.

The use of duct strap is an unfortunate common practice in the Dallas area. The last company I worked for did the best job I've ever seen to build a suspended platform out of unistrut and allthread attached to the roof trusses. Complete support from the bottom of the equipment.