Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Im a one man shop, last time i took two condensor's stripped and 2 a coils, 50' lineset i probably got $40, thats after i stripped them, 2 tons, now if i got ripped off, let me know, as now i just haul them to the curb.

Quote Originally Posted by garychance View Post
    Im a one man shop, last time i took two condensor's stripped and 2 a coils, 50' lineset i probably got $40, thats after i stripped them, 2 tons, now if i got ripped off, let me know, as now i just haul them to the curb.
    You got ripped!

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by garychance View Post
    I'm thinking you got ripped...

Around here the price paid per pound for coils SUBSTANTIALLY higher if you cut the steel tube sheets of of them first.
    If you do it right, most of the copper crossovers will nearly fall out of the tube sheets, and are #2 copper.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

what should have i got? im pulling 3 this week.

I stripped steel off, and then they say they always give the lesser metal price, so aluminum (i know how to take copper in, as im a plumber to, and been taking that in for years. It pays well as you know. But i've always pushed units, coils to the curb for junkers. Like i said tried it once, and did not pan out. So i stripped it, is it just i went to the wrong place, as they have always gave me great return on my copper.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    I'm thinking you got ripped...

Around here the price paid per pound for coils SUBSTANTIALLY higher if you cut the steel tube sheets of of them first.
    If you do it right, most of the copper crossovers will nearly fall out of the tube sheets, and are #2 copper.
    Per pound for coil (at aluminum price?) Is that stripping steel off? or just dropping it on the scale?

Its worth it to run a sawsall down the steal plates. But then again, it can be a task and blades aren't cheap. But what I've heard, is you can take a torch (I don't know the name of it) its a wand torch and has a head/tip thats about 3" in diameter and is used for pre-heating, defrosting, but will actually heat the coil to the point the aluminum will fall off the copper. But, I do not know, and it doesn't seem to be, cost effective. I'm sticking with the sawsall.

Still on a slow day its free money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baycienda View Post
    Its worth it to run a sawsall down the steal plates. But then again, it can be a task and blades aren't cheap. But what I've heard, is you can take a torch (I don't know the name of it) its a wand torch and has a head/tip thats about 3" in diameter and is used for pre-heating, defrosting, but will actually heat the coil to the point the aluminum will fall off the copper. But, I do not know, and it doesn't seem to be, cost effective. I'm sticking with the sawsall.

OK on a slow day it is free money, that it is

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Baycienda View Post
    I have a big yard burner for my lp setup.... i will try it on one of the units and post if it works. Sounds like it might

Im thinking that one has a new home. Also most likely who ever worked in one of the offices told someone about it and the taker didnt want to leave his informant with no ac. If it was for scrap I think more units would have been taken and that lineset would not be looking that pretty. It would be kinked and bent all up if any copper was left at all. But hey ive replaced 4 stolen units in 2 years out of one 12 unit condo that is no more than 3 years old. Each time they left plenty of copper and the last 2 they got were the 2 newest ones I replaced the first time! The last time they hit, the sump pump for that condo was out and had been overflowing a while as the yard was so wet they almost got the truck stuck in s#%y mud. Dont know which was worse the smell or the flies.

Here in Fla. coils are now restricted materials. To scrap them you need a receipt showing you bought a replacement, plus they fingerprint, photograph, record your tag number, then mail a check. No more cash.

You spend an hour or more at the scrap yard. For it to be worth doing you've got to be scrapping 10 or more units at a time.

That's what Saturday afternoon is for. I have my girlfriend's daughter use the impact wrench to take screws out, as I solder shut the compressor and sawall the coils. She likes to stomp on the folded coil to make them flat and compact.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast