+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Considerate thieves!

Post Likes

Thumbs up Considerate thieves!

They only stole the units from the vacant spaces.

And they even left plenty of copper sticking out for me to connect their next paycheck to!

Post Likes
    Did they cap the pipes for you as well

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jandsrfgo1 View Post
    Did they cap the pipes for you as well
    They used bolt cutters, so it pinched them closed good enough to avoid to many complications for an R-22 system.

Post Likes
    Looks like a clean theft . . . maybe a REAL professional!

Post Likes
    I smell fraud

Post Likes
    Insurance job

Post Likes
    looks like quick easy $$$ for you.
    Heating/Cooling Services Inc.
    www.heatingandcoolingservicesinc.com

Post Likes
    A local deputy told me that if he stopped any truck with a couple of shady guys in it the first thing he was looking for was a battery powered saw. Said if he saw that they were always good for a couple of charges for something. The upside is that with metal prices up things are really getting cleaned up around here.

Post Likes
    See, steel isn;t worth a thing here in South Florida. You need a LOT of it to be worth it, at least for me. I have my Chevy Express work van, and I am not going to just dump a bunch of metal on it for a few dollars. I can understand compressors, coils and copper...But if you are hauling metal like steel or whatever, the junk that the unit housing is, I'm sorry. It's not worth the effort. When I tear a unit down, I actually let the local guys take it from the curb. I don't want to deal with a few pounds, and if I had enough that it;d be worth something, it isn't worth cluttering or scratching up my truck bed and essentially keeping me from going to a call if the phone rings. Or I will load up to run there in the morning, and it starts raining and I have to unload all that crap...Nope.

Post Likes
    Wow, a shady looking guy with a battery operated saw. I think everyone on this site would get arrested! Probably get some warrents off the books too.:-)

Post Likes
    I know I look a little shady in the winter with a big beard and dirty bibs on.

Post Likes
    The few i decided to tear down, after a replacement is not worth my sawzall blades, or time. (and that was separating the steel, from copper, from aluminum, to get best price, yeah right) I Guess some money is better then no money! Now a pile of copper, i will take that in.

Post Likes
    I disagree our last load got $400 for a big trailer of scrap steel. ( ya i know aint much but had to get rid of it any ways) But the copper coils and copper was 3k +

We have a couple of maintenance guys we do work for. Will help us sell the system so they can get the scrap unit

Not worth paying someone by the hour to cut them up.
    But worth it when you do it on some down time
    But in the summer can be a pain we have 20+ units stacked up in the yard and no time to cut them up. The you got to spend a weekend cleaning them up.

Post Likes
    Im a one man shop, last time i took two condensor's stripped and 2 a coils, 50' lineset i probably got $40, thats after i stripped them, 2 tons, now if i got ripped off, let me know, as now i just haul them to the curb.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by garychance View Post
    Im a one man shop, last time i took two condensor's stripped and 2 a coils, 50' lineset i probably got $40, thats after i stripped them, 2 tons, now if i got ripped off, let me know, as now i just haul them to the curb.
    You got ripped!

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by garychance View Post
    I'm thinking you got ripped...

Around here the price paid per pound for coils SUBSTANTIALLY higher if you cut the steel tube sheets of of them first.
    If you do it right, most of the copper crossovers will nearly fall out of the tube sheets, and are #2 copper.

Post Likes
    what should have i got? im pulling 3 this week.

Post Likes
    I stripped steel off, and then they say they always give the lesser metal price, so aluminum (i know how to take copper in, as im a plumber to, and been taking that in for years. It pays well as you know. But i've always pushed units, coils to the curb for junkers. Like i said tried it once, and did not pan out. So i stripped it, is it just i went to the wrong place, as they have always gave me great return on my copper.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    I'm thinking you got ripped...

Around here the price paid per pound for coils SUBSTANTIALLY higher if you cut the steel tube sheets of of them first.
    If you do it right, most of the copper crossovers will nearly fall out of the tube sheets, and are #2 copper.
    Per pound for coil (at aluminum price?) Is that stripping steel off? or just dropping it on the scale?

Post Likes
    Its worth it to run a sawsall down the steal plates. But then again, it can be a task and blades aren't cheap. But what I've heard, is you can take a torch (I don't know the name of it) its a wand torch and has a head/tip thats about 3" in diameter and is used for pre-heating, defrosting, but will actually heat the coil to the point the aluminum will fall off the copper. But, I do not know, and it doesn't seem to be, cost effective. I'm sticking with the sawsall.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in