Two Stage Variable Speed - High Repair Cost?

I'm building a house and had all but decided to install a 5.0 ton, 16 SEER, two stage unit. Then a guy who's building next to me said that he's heard the repair cost on two stage equipment is MUCH higher than single stage. Is this true? Do these systems break down more often? More expensive parts/labor?

Should I be concerned about this or can I count on 15 yrs with few problems?

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Just but the mfr. ten year extended warranty!

Originally posted by arkansan
    Then a guy who's building next to me said that he's heard the repair cost on two stage equipment is MUCH higher than single stage. Is this true?
    Depends on what part / repair it is.

Do these systems break down more often?
    Not really. I mean you have to consider the more parts there are, the more parts there are that can fail, but all in all, not really.

More expensive parts/labor?
    More expensive on parts?...it depends on the part. More expensive on labor?...not so much.

Get the extended parts and labor warranty and you can count on 10 years with virtually no problems...that will hurt your wallet. Most of the parts that are going to fail will do so within the first ten years.

That guy next to you shouldn't give out advice. Plain and simple, it is nothing to worry about. Higher efficiency equipment is the way to go. Just make sure you have a good installer, that is the most important.

As others have said, get the ten year extended parts and laor warranty.

You can't count on a single stage system to be trouble free for 15 years either.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

i did alot of research before i purchased a lennox g61v and im happy i did the comfort and the saving on both gas and electricity and also the ten year parts and labour ,make sure that the company that installs it is also the one that will repair it.I had a guy give me a quote and found out that if i had any problems that i would have get it repaired and try to get my money back from the furnace company please take your time and dont be afraid to ask questions GOD BLESS

Yeah,don't get power windows in your car because their is more moving parts to break!! I think 2 stage does not start and stop as much,and like a car on the highway V/S city car. Get the warranty!!
    It's NOT the BRAND,it's the company that installs it!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arkansan View Post
    I'm building a house and had all but decided to install a 5.0 ton, 16 SEER, two stage unit. Then a guy who's building next to me said that he's heard the repair cost on two stage equipment is MUCH higher than single stage. Is this true? Do these systems break down more often? More expensive parts/labor?

I am an Hvac contractor that believes in the KISS principle, especially if an HO is going to live in the house for ten + years. Noting that I have never installed anything over 13 seer. But here is my opinion anyway...

1) If yur trying to determine a payback for yur system - you can pretty much forget it. The upfront cost WILL be high ( in itself, will probably cancel any possible payback ). Once it is paid for, the comfort & utility savings will be a nice benefii. Plus everyone wants you to 'buy' the ten year parts & labor warranty - additional unrecoverable cost.
    Now, what I have a problem with is who is going to provide this warranty?
    The dealer you use, or the distributor that sold the equipment, or the manufacturer ??
    I have been interested in how these warranties actually work, as I have never seen anyone actually use the 'parts & labor' warranty. I always fear how it actually works after 5+ years...

2) As far as actual repairs - yes they 'can' be much more expensive than a simpler sytem ( noted by how many on here have 'highly' recommended the purchased ten year parts & labor warranty ). A true two stage compressor will cost several times the replacement cost of a single stage. If there are two compressors ( 2 stage ), then you have one more part that can go bad.
    Variable speed motors will cost more than twice the repair of a 3 speed motor.

3) IMO - you are not getting a true 16 seer efficiency - manufactureres 'play' with numbers to achieve the higher efficiencies. I'm sure that you get more savings than with a 13 seer, just not as much as someone might think.

4) Whats going to happen AFTER 10 years??? Will the system last ( as you stated )?? Not many know, as these higher efficiency systems have not been around that long. I haven't seen any posts from anyone who has had their 14+ efficiency system for ten years or longer. I have seen post in here from owners of these higher eff. systems that are having problems with them. ( even the thermostats are complicated & have to be programmed - & are costly to replace - are they included in the ten year warranty? )

Until these ( & other ) questions are answered for me, I will stick to the KISS principle for my customers, who, like me, would prefer to pay a little more each month on a system that WILL last for 10+ years with affordable repair costs.

JMHO,
    Richard

Cool

Now, what I have a problem with is who is going to provide this warranty?
    The dealer you use, or the distributor that sold the equipment, or the manufacturer ??

The warranty is through your dealer (at least with ours). Make sure that you get a good contractor.

I have been interested in how these warranties actually work, as I have never seen anyone actually use the 'parts & labor' warranty. I always fear how it actually works after 5+ years...
    If it is a 10 yr P&L then it's covered. This is little more than insurance on the system.

3) IMO - you are not getting a true 16 seer efficiency - manufactureres 'play' with numbers to achieve the higher efficiencies. I'm sure that you get more savings than with a 13 seer, just not as much as someone might think.
    What are you talking about? Manufactures don't assign the SEER rating, ARI does!

4) Whats going to happen AFTER 10 years??? Will the system last ( as you stated )?? Not many know, as these higher efficiency systems have not been around that long. I haven't seen any posts from anyone who has had their 14+ efficiency system for ten years or longer. I have seen post in here from owners of these higher eff. systems that are having problems with them. ( even the thermostats are complicated & have to be programmed - & are costly to replace - are they included in the ten year warranty? )
    There has been 14+ for over 10 years, and running strong. Your assumption that simple equipment will outlast the higher eff. is misplaced. Are there any posts of people on here that have standard systems that are haveing problems w/ them?
    The t-stats are complicated and need programming? Are you kidding me? The installer setup to configure them is all, but they can be made user friendly. I have customers that would kill me if I tried to take back their Vision Pro 8000 stats (Even if I offered them more than they paid). Why, because they know the comfort that is achievable.
    I only use Honeywell and they all carry a 5yr from manufacturer and yes they would be included in the 10 P&L