Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused looking for a new furnace need help

I currently have a 8 year old lennox G20Q3 75k btu whisperheat furnace with a HS-29-30 2.5 ton a/c. I live north of Buffalo NY and it has been cold. (-1 to 16) this past week. My fuel bill was high ,more than twice my neighbors 9she has a 92% lennox with no a/c) so i am looking at a Amana AMH95 furnace. it is 2 stage 95%afuewith lifetime unit replacement if heat exchanger goes bad. The local contract is good as word of mouth goes but he only offers a Amana. he did have a cotract with a retirment home community for a good dollar. so some one likes his work and product. If i don't get an Amana what is another top of the line brand?? any responses great needed..thanks

Patrick

is your neighbor happy with her lennox?

find out who put hers in and give them a call.

If you feel comfortable with the installer and he will do the job the right way then quit being brainwashed by the brand. Brand means nothing if it isn't installed properly. Focus on that!!

Your Whisperheat is 8 year old?

I think it's older than that.. I think the last one was made 15 years ago.. but then I could be wrong.

Thumbs up

Amana is a nice furnace, our first line. Heat Exchangers are bullet proof.
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes...that way you are a mile from them and have their shoes

Quote Originally Posted by mayguy View Post
    Your Whisperheat is 8 year old?

I think it's older than that.. I think the last one was made 15 years ago.. but then I could be wrong.
    Talked to Lennox and they said that in the early 90's it was discontinued. And brought back because there was a "big demand" for them. It was the last of the atmospheric furnaces. Right around 2000 they stopped production....I was told.

tocoldtolong, could you give us the serial number of your furnace please, this will drive me nuts
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes...that way you are a mile from them and have their shoes

Quote Originally Posted by hetrola View Post
    Talked to Lennox and they said that in the early 90's it was discontinued. And brought back because there was a "big demand" for them. It was the last of the atmospheric furnaces. Right around 2000 they stopped production....I was told.

tocoldtolong, could you give us the serial number of your furnace please, this will drive me nuts
    Thanks for the note. It was early 90's when I put the last one in for a day care center.

i will be home around 5 with a lennox dealer coming to give quote. i will get furnace serial number then. but it was installed on of all dates 4/1/99. can this furnace be so out dated and a new nurnace so much better to cut fuel bill from 340 a month to under 170 as amana sales is claiming? it seems i have more questions than answers. also was told do not need a pipe installed into chimmney as it runs thru center of house and is called a warm air chimmney and didn't need insert for hot water tank to vent. i see alot of inserts sticking out of chimmneys with high efficient furnaces.

Thank-you for your input....

Question

Quote Originally Posted by tocoldtolong View Post
    i will be home around 5 with a lennox dealer coming to give quote. i will get furnace serial number then. but it was installed on of all dates 4/1/99. can this furnace be so out dated and a new nurnace so much better to cut fuel bill from 340 a month to under 170 as amana sales is claiming? it seems i have more questions than answers. also was told do not need a pipe installed into chimmney as it runs thru center of house and is called a warm air chimmney and didn't need insert for hot water tank to vent. i see alot of inserts sticking out of chimmneys with high efficient furnaces.

Thank-you for your input....

When you say pipe installed in the chimney, are you referring to a brick chimney in possible need of a chimney liner?

I found the serial number of the lennox whisperheat that is 5899A00568. A lennox dealer told me furnace is possible 12 years old. still had it installed 4/12/99,also a chimney liner was not recommended with the Amana as it is an warm chimney. The dealer that just left will install a liner so condensation won't build up in chimney. i have a block chimney and 40 gal 28,00 btu water heater. he is looking to install a lennox g61v. the price is a grand more than Amana. neighbor has her fuel bill today and is 194 vs my of 337...

If you are considering installing any 90+% furnace, what you will be doing is known as 'orphaning' the water heater. I would highly recommend for a flue liner to be installed in that case. Actually I would recommend for a metal liner to be pulled for any gas appliance venting into any masonary chinmey.

Originally posted by tocoldtolong
    neighbor has her fuel bill today and is 194 vs my of 337...
    That's the magic of 95% efficiency
    Either the Amana or the Lennox will be fine.

Let's take a look at your insulation and windows... They have a doing to the heat bill. Furnace alone will not do the job to make the drastic heat bill cut. Today's 90% and plus AFUE furnaces are pretty good with being a miser but insulation, windows, and doors are doing a big part of job for keeping the heat inside for longer peroid of time so the furnace won't have to overwork to replace the lost heat...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast