+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What Is the difference between working on an Ammonia unit vs CFC (all other) units

Post Likes

What Is the difference between working on an Ammonia unit vs CFC (all other) units

Hello fellow technicians,
    I recently relocated to a new state and applied for numerous jobs. Before i apply for this certain job of services and repairing Ice Cream machines and storage units. I read that it required knowledge of working with Ammonia refrigerants. I am curious as to if there is is a difference between CFC refrigerants and Ammonia refrigerants ? Is it the same process when calculating and finding the dew point etc. Or what is the difference between the two when servicing and repairing?

Post Likes
    While the principles of refrigeration apply to all refrigerants. The differencesbetween the typical day to day refrigerants used commercially, and ammonia are many. Working with amonia requires a different set if tools, due to it's corrosive nature , a stricter adherence to personal safe work practices.. Just I Name a few.
    Amonia is typically found in industrial applications such as food processing facilities or ice rinks .. How big are these ice cream machines??

Post Likes
    Yeah, how big are these machines? In my area, ammonia is pretty much only used in industrial and process refrigeration. The technicians that install and maintain this equipment are highly trained to work with ammonia. Some states require special licensing for ammonia.

Post Likes
    They are you the kind you find in your local grocery store selling good humor ice cream. However i do not know the full scope but the place looks massive. as far as the ad for the job it states working on units that will be delivered to stores in the area, but i am sure if i apply and get the job i may also help inside. I dont know if they provide training or not. I really want to know if i am able to do the job. I graduated and acquired my Associates of Occupational studies in HVAC-R last year and have a years field experience. Thanks for all your help

Quote Originally Posted by Frostmonkey74 View Post
    While the principles of refrigeration apply to all refrigerants. The differencesbetween the typical day to day refrigerants used commercially, and ammonia are many. Working with amonia requires a different set if tools, due to it's corrosive nature , a stricter adherence to personal safe work practices.. Just I Name a few.
    Amonia is typically found in industrial applications such as food processing facilities or ice rinks .. How big are these ice cream machines??

Post Likes
    I assume they maybe anywhere from standard convenient store machines to commercial ones in the factory. The ad doesnt ask for the candidate to be license for Ammonia but just your EPA is required. What is the difference? I already know tools are different but what else. Thanks for the info

Post Likes
    There won't be any ammonia in any convenience store machine.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MicahWes View Post
    There won't be any ammonia in any convenience store machine.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Or supermarkets.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in