Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Is this Condensor Fan Motor bad?

Hi All,

I recently had my AC serviced and the tech told me that I need a new contactor and Condensor Fan Motor in the unit.

The tech said that the Fan motor is leaking oil around the seal. So, given that he wanted $$$ to replace the part I thought that I would take a look myself. Here is a picture of the fan motor, I am not sure if that is actually "leaking around the seal" or just dirt build-up.

Name:  IMG_4398.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  27.9 KB

What is your expert recommendation?

Regards,
    Mark
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 05-03-2013 at 09:26 PM.

Mine looks like that too. Not 3 years old. I'm not replacing it. Be interesting to see what others say.

If you called a tech to your house, its his job to inform you of any and all potential issues he stumbles upon. The motor may die tomorrow, it may last 10 more years, and none of us will be able to know just how many more days it had left. He did the right thing by bringing it to your attention. The choice is now yours, replace it now and have a worry free summer, plus save the diagnosis fee on a second call, or gamble and squeeze all the remaining life out of it. If it was my house I would leave it, but I can also fix my own AC....

If it's spinning and the amps are OK, I would not change it. That looks like 80% of CFMs out there

Expert recommendation...... Leave it to the experts. Thats how they make a living.

If it were my house I would have it replaced because thats what the expert recommended.

The tech said that the Fan motor is leaking oil around the seal
    It just needs a new pan gasket.............
    As others have said, I'm not replacing it!
    Make your expertise uniquely valuable.

Make your influence uniquely far-reaching.

Same on the amps/ not spinning freely- I've seen them pull high amps and people accuse of selling an unneeded part- than call back complaining 2 weeks later when it crapped out.

I wouldn't replace one solely on oil, but some motors out there have had bad runs and the oil ran out as they failed due to overheating. one of Trane's two speed motors had that issue, and that looks like a Trane motor, couldn't say anyway beyond that.

Is the unit 5, 10 yrs old? some had 5 yr parts warranties on them.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

No need to change with that diagnosis

It looks like some portion of the oil for the shaft end bearing leaked. It may or may not be a problem.
    I've seen motors last for years like that, and I've seen them go out on the first really hot day.

When I find one with oil on it, I'll document it, and tell the customer, but if there is no play at all in the shaft, it spins freely, etc., I won't go so far as to recommend replacement.
    Some people say to go ahead and replace it, some don't.

If there is any side to side play in the shaft, I'd go ahead and have it replaced though.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

If it isn't drawing excessive amperage, run it till it either does, or it dies. Which could be longer then the rest of the system last.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Your call. I wouldn't if it were mine.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Far too expensive to change just because it lost oil. If it spins freely and there is little verticle play and no side to side play, leave it alone. It could go for quite some time.

Please make sure the system is off if you get tempted to give the fan blades a twirl yourself.

The climate you are in may be a consideration too.
    If you are in an area that doesn't normally see summer high temperatures >100 for extended periods, last summer was an anomaly for you, and the motor may still be good for years and years.

If you are in an area where >100 in the summer is normal, that motor may not have much time left in it.

When it is >110 outside, all bets are off, even on a brand new motor.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast