Trinity T200 ASC Code

Hi,

I have a Trinity T200 that has been running for 10 years without issue. Since the end of summer last year, it started to throw ASC code and would not start the flame (of course). I have since found out the following symptom:

1) following other suggestions from googling around, if I blow air into the sensor, it would start again; but that means I have to blow it all the time
    2) in summer, if I take the front cover off the unit, it would not give the ASC error code and run no problem; the problem comes back as soon as I put the front cover back on; this has been re-validated this summer again;
    3) in winter, there would be no issue even with the cover on; however when it turns to summer (or close to summer), the problem comes back.

I hope I have explained my case. I have no knowledge of heating/cooling system. But with the above information, I am attempted to think the Normally Close Pressure Switch is malfunctioning.

Could someone give me some insight to this?

Thanks in advance.

Bo

When was the last time the heat exchanger was cleaned?
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Quote Originally Posted by firecontrol View Post
    When was the last time the heat exchanger was cleaned?
    I have never cleaned it. It seems to be a sealed unit inside the cabinet, didn't know it needed to be done. You are saying it is related?

Thanks,

Bo

Not have it serviced in 10 years being related to the ASC code, I'd give it about a 85% chance of that being a yes.

The manufacturer requires the heat exchanger to be cleaned/serviced every 1 year on LP and every 3 years on Natural gas miniumum or the warranty is void. Along with this service a qualified NTI technician will verify that all other components and functions of the boiler are operating properly.

This is not unique to your boiler, it's what needs to be done with all fuel burning heating equipment to ensure they are functioning properly, efficiently and safely. The pressure switch is a primary safety control and the fact that it is malfunctioning (or is not doing what the electronic control wants to see it doing during a specific time sequence in the operation of the boiler) means that the boiler's primary safety circuitry is sensing a condition that makes it shut the boiler off. This happens to #1 protect you and your family and your home from a potential dangerous situation. The #2 reason the safeties are there is to protect the boiler from operating in such a fashion as to damage itself.

You've gotten 10 years of trouble free operation from the boiler and now it's time to call someone in that is qualified to see what is wrong and if it's something simple or not and to hopefully get everything cleaned and setup for another 10 years of the same.

Whoever services the unit needs to have a combustion analyzer. Ask them before they come out. If they don't have one, or give you some story about not needing one, call someone else. The manufacturer requires that the burner be set up using this tool without exception.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Quote Originally Posted by firecontrol View Post
    Not have it serviced in 10 years being related to the ASC code, I'd give it about a 85% chance of that being a yes.

The manufacturer requires the heat exchanger to be cleaned/serviced every 1 year on LP and every 3 years on Natural gas miniumum or the warranty is void. Along with this service a qualified NTI technician will verify that all other components and functions of the boiler are operating properly.

This is not unique to your boiler, it's what needs to be done with all fuel burning heating equipment to ensure they are functioning properly, efficiently and safely. The pressure switch is a primary safety control and the fact that it is malfunctioning (or is not doing what the electronic control wants to see it doing during a specific time sequence in the operation of the boiler) means that the boiler's primary safety circuitry is sensing a condition that makes it shut the boiler off. This happens to #1 protect you and your family and your home from a potential dangerous situation. The #2 reason the safeties are there is to protect the boiler from operating in such a fashion as to damage itself.

You've gotten 10 years of trouble free operation from the boiler and now it's time to call someone in that is qualified to see what is wrong and if it's something simple or not and to hopefully get everything cleaned and setup for another 10 years of the same.

Whoever services the unit needs to have a combustion analyzer. Ask them before they come out. If they don't have one, or give you some story about not needing one, call someone else. The manufacturer requires that the burner be set up using this tool without exception.
    Thanks firecontrol for the kind advice. I will get that done right away and go from there.

Regards,

Bo