Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 47
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Summerville SC
    Posts
    117

    goin to digital manifold..help!

    ive been wanting to go digital for a while now and have seen plenty of reviews on here that all in all mainly point to digi-cool. I like the price of them however Ive never seen a pair in person and I don't know how user friendly they are. ive worked with techs that had testo 550s and fp smans. I don't like the testos mainly because of how unorganized they seem unlike the smans. the smans ive used have a nice display and goin thro sh and sc to sat. temps is easy to do for someone like me who has never owned digital manifold. so its up in the air between sman3s and digi-cool ak900. I like the display and operation of the smans, don't care about the crappy micron sensor because I wont be using it anyway. I don't like how slow the fp thermistors are.... ive read yalls reviews but really haven't seen anything about user friendliness. some opinions would be greatly appreciated!
    "only 2 tools any man needs is wd40 and duct tape. if it moves and it shouldn't use the duct tape. if it doesn't move and should, use the wd40" -unknown

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,567
    well, the DC unit is pretty simple.

    Turn it on, hook up your sensors, select a refrigerant and go.

    The AK900 has all info on one screen. no need to toggle through screens

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Summerville SC
    Posts
    117
    ive been looking at some videos of people using them on youtube where you can actually see the display in work...im also wondering about the manifold option of the digicools. I don't kno if id like the manifold they come with since they use ball valves however I don't wont a manifold that's fitted to another manifold that will looked hacked because of all sorts of adapters...im streaming thro threads trying to find what people fit them to when they buy the gauge bare
    "only 2 tools any man needs is wd40 and duct tape. if it moves and it shouldn't use the duct tape. if it doesn't move and should, use the wd40" -unknown

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    In a boiler room
    Posts
    7,073
    I had my dc on a YJ first, then on Imperials, and finally bought the new dc ball valve manifold. No complaints, it is a very nice manifold. The valves work much better than any manifold I tried previously.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,567
    Quote Originally Posted by SCtech33 View Post
    ive been looking at some videos of people using them on youtube where you can actually see the display in work...im also wondering about the manifold option of the digicools. I don't kno if id like the manifold they come with since they use ball valves however I don't wont a manifold that's fitted to another manifold that will looked hacked because of all sorts of adapters...im streaming thro threads trying to find what people fit them to when they buy the gauge bare
    There are a few manifolds they'll fit straight up to.

    The YJ titan and the Sherman Stalker are two that I can think of.

    I don't care too much what they look like. They work.

    I had them on a Brute II manifold and ditched it because it was a heavy, clunky thing compared to the YJ41.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Mid-Mo
    Posts
    3,595
    I put mine on an old Titan manifold I never really used and had to use some 90's to get where it fit the hook right. Here's a side view, I guess I don't have a front picture but can get it tomorrow. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367674163.213589.jpg
Views: 366
Size:  46.8 KB

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckcrj View Post
    I had my dc on a YJ first, then on Imperials, and finally bought the new dc ball valve manifold. No complaints, it is a very nice manifold. The valves work much better than any manifold I tried previously.
    Funny you should mention the DC manifold. I put My old Brute gauges on the the DC manifold and turned them into to my refer recovery manifold. It was either that or just pitch it in the trash.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    There are a few manifolds they'll fit straight up to.

    The YJ titan and the Sherman Stalker are two that I can think of.

    I don't care too much what they look like. They work.

    I had them on a Brute II manifold and ditched it because it was a heavy, clunky thing compared to the YJ41.
    That Brute II might be clunky, but mine gets the job done. Like I told you I put my AKs on a Brute II 46081 commercial evac/charging manifold. they pull down super fast on evacuation.

    To the OP don't be afraid to use the adapters if you find a manifold you like. I was leery at first too, but DC head looks completely natural when using the 90* fittings.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    In the work truck
    Posts
    2,999
    The ball valve manifold is awesome from digicool. I put a mark on the brass block where the refrigerant starts to flow. This way I know exactly how far to open the ball valve.

    You dont have to worry about tightening down like on a standard valve. Its just 1/4 turn..

    One this the ak900 screams is simplicity. From the ball valve manifold, to the one button DRSA (all you have to do is turn it on), to field repairs if you ever had to do it.. Which I doubt being a Digi-Cool user for years.

    Doug and brenda are great. They want their business to succeed. They will do what it take to help you . Like BSing with me for 45 mins on the phone one night. I was like you and nervous about spending more the 2x's what the ak900's were on my 1250's.. Needless to say, they are a work horse. Doug is an HVAC mechanic like you and I.

    I just though of this. I have about 4-5 guys I know that experimented with different digital manifolds. They other manufacturers come and go off their racks, But one thing remains the same.. That is when they finally bought the digi-cools..

    Good luck on your decision.
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

    Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

    "Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    In the work truck
    Posts
    2,999
    .
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

    Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

    "Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

  11. #11
    AKs are simple. The only one more intuitive is the SMAN 4.

    I just prefer the push button to the AKS touch pad.

    SMAN4 screen is a little bigger, for me that is good cause I wear contacts. AK screen is good too but just seems like they tried to pack too much info on to a small screen.

    I do like the evacuating thru the AK(My AK is mounted to a commercial evacuation/charging manifold). The screen is very interesting to watch as all the info changes.

    I like them both for different reasons.

    I also have Testo 557 and 570, but they more or less cater to my sweet tooth for hi-tech instruments.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Savannah, Ga/H.H. Island, S.C.
    Posts
    1,455
    I've used and reviewed (on this site) almost all the different DRSA's


    The Digi-Cool AK900's with DC manifold are my "go-to" gauges. Check out my reviews series in the tool and test forum. You may have to go back a few page because I started the series in late February.

    Read and do you research. Then figure out which DRSA fits your budget and needs.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ridley View Post
    I've used and reviewed (on this site) almost all the different DRSA's


    The Digi-Cool AK900's with DC manifold are my "go-to" gauges. Check out my reviews series in the tool and test forum. You may have to go back a few page because I started the series in late February.

    Read and do you research. Then figure out which DRSA fits your budget and needs.
    You should charge admission to the reviews lol.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event