Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I can understand your frustration with them energy star. We install all Trane/AS products and our first few were a bit sketchy. I like them though after doing a few. We have had problems with the blower door latches, I think the new ones have a round knob now because it was an issue. Another kink they had to work out was the half@$$ terminal strip on the control board, it wouldn't make a good connection...you would wire one up and just a slight touch of the wiring external of the unit would make a bad connection. That I also believe has been taken care of by a newer term strip. Make sure you leave a few inches before your first bend out of the unit with the line set or else you'll be cussing that when you take the doors off.

Yes, I did allow the 3" clearance, door just brushes the armaflex. My main complaint is the heat pack with a circuit breaker. I should have purchased one w/no breaker. You have no room to work AT ALL. This heat pack should be fabricated with a molded in conduit. This would line up with the knockout on the cabinet when slid in.
    I can almost see the design team now. Having all the new electronic sensors, wires and step motor required for these components. It must haven went like this, "Well Bill you really have out done yourself on this one, it looks great. I like the way your saving on copper by having the braze connections almost in the cabinet. A real money saver for us, nothing to get hooked on sliding down the assembly line. And the wires, step motor and other control leads that can easily melt wrapped around that suction line that's already hard to braze is brilliant. I gotta go call up that component supplier and order some for stock. I can see us running low, because all the installers are melting them. Perfect."

saw my first A/S air handler today, horizontal in a crawl space.

it was placed directly on the pad, air flow right to left. this meant the low voltage wires enter between the pad and the door, nice pinch point. I guess they could have raised it an inch.

also, what is up with the blower door "latch" system? if the unit is not perfectly square, what a nightmare to reinstall!!!!!
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Must be nice to be able to put out any piece of crap you want and not have to install it or fix it when it breaks! What a deal!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    saw my first A/S air handler today, horizontal in a crawl space.

it was placed directly on the pad, air flow right to left. this meant the low voltage wires enter between the pad and the door, nice pinch point. I guess they could have raised it an inch.

also, what is up with the blower door "latch" system? if the unit is not perfectly square, what a nightmare to reinstall!!!!!
    The installers should have placed it on Styrofoam blocks. The early units with 1/4 turn latches were an issue and they have since changed it to screws.

Was the latch door changed in 2012 or 2013. Also, can someone message me any service bulletins if any exist. I'm interested in anything related to the slide out LV control board.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by energy star View Post
    Was the latch door changed in 2012 or 2013. Also, can someone message me any service bulletins if any exist. I'm interested in anything related to the slide out LV control board.
    Thanks
    I have the service bulletins but I can't figure out how to message you.

one of the smaller a/hs has a different heater setup. looked like an integral htr, not a slide in kit.

very tight fit on contactor and other parts. dread the idea of replacing that elec ht contactor.
    Col 3:23

questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

Quote Originally Posted by 3DFanatic View Post
    The installers should have placed it on Styrofoam blocks. The early units with 1/4 turn latches were an issue and they have since changed it to screws.
    this unit was installed 2 weeks ago!!
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by pacnw View Post
    this unit was installed 2 weeks ago!!
    Must be old stock because they have changed it. The 1/4 turn in theory was awesome but in practice it sucked due to the gaskets.

I did a tune up on one today that my company installed a few years ago. This was the first time I had the displeasure to deal with it. It had a 13d delta when I got there.Refrigeration lines were angled toward the door so i fight to get it off to clean the coil. When I finally did I found the v shaped plastic that is supposed to go over the leading edge of the a-coil still lying taped to the bottom of the unit, blocking all of the airflow to half the coil. snapped it in place and the delta went to 21d. I can't wait to see the other tech who usually services it in the morning.
    "If you've eliminated all other possibilities whatever remains must be the truth."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12