+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something's missing

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    I am 60 now... just in the last year or so things are not visually 'clear'...

And glasses are not that much of a help... Guess we cannot live like kids forever... <grin>
    I've had to use readers for a few-five years now, but I am still not in the habit of taking them everywhere with me. I have them stashed at various strategic locations thru out the house and of course they are in my shirt pocket when on the job.

The other night I went to the store without them and coincidently passed right by the readers stand by the pharmacy. I stopped to pick up another spare to stash in the truck and went on with my shopping, which included produce with codes on them instead of bar codes. Of course I went thru the self check out and when it came time to enter those little codes and put the stuff on the scale - I was screwed. I debated asking the girl for help but then remembered I had a brand new pair in the cart.

So I put them on - complete with the price tag, stiff paper package backing thing and the vinyl carrying case all attached and hanging by my ear. Fortunately, with the need for readers also comes the attitude of "I'm too old to care." But I avoided making eye contact with anyone while I entered my apples, oranges and broccoli...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jpb2 View Post
    I always like the liquid drier inside by the evap.
    I'm with jpb2. Most manufactures require LLD installation as close to the metering devise as possible. I should not expect to see the LLD in the pic nor should I expect to see a SLD because they came and removed it like they should!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    I've had to use readers for a few-five years now, but I am still not in the habit of taking them everywhere with me. I have them stashed at various strategic locations thru out the house and of course they are in my shirt pocket when on the job.

The other night I went to the store without them and coincidently passed right by the readers stand by the pharmacy. I stopped to pick up another spare to stash in the truck and went on with my shopping, which included produce with codes on them instead of bar codes. Of course I went thru the self check out and when it came time to enter those little codes and put the stuff on the scale - I was screwed. I debated asking the girl for help but then remembered I had a brand new pair in the cart.

So I put them on - complete with the price tag, stiff paper package backing thing and the vinyl carrying case all attached and hanging by my ear. Fortunately, with the need for readers also comes the attitude of "I'm too old to care." But I avoided making eye contact with anyone while I entered my apples, oranges and broccoli...
    I may be a little farther down the 'blind' road... I really HAVE to have the readers with me most of the time. And dim light work is getting harder and harder.
    I prefer 'half' lenses rather than full lenses. I will set them low on my nose (which increases the magnification a little. That way I can look over them easily and then through them when I need to.
    Seems I am looking through them more and more... I really do not like this...

I found a local 'junk store' that has readers in various powers for $3... they are better than the usual WallyWorld offerings... so I bought a few each of 1.5 and 1.75. The lower ones are for general use, the higher ones for that itty-bitty print the Chinese are famous for.

I guess I should see an eye doc and get some real glasses... however I hear when one starts wearing them all the time the eyes go downhill fast... trying to avoid that. I am a pilot (well Sunny-Sunday)... I really do NOT want my vision to go down far enough I am grounded... flying (in my case a gyro-plane) is really fun!

Back on topic: I prefer my LL dryer at the metering device also... and I really do NOT like them pre-installed. I understand the manufacturer's view... however IMO if they worry about sloppy cheap installs... then put them in the builder grade... but NOT in the better grade. I told the tech folks that at a recent Spring meeting... they just looked at me.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    What's the benefit in having it closer to the metering device? Better protection?

Post Likes
    There's a couple reasons, one is that having the drier at the metering device puts it inside and out of the elements thus keeping it from rusting out and leaking. The other is based on the idea that you will start the unit in a/c mode, the closer the drier is to the indoor coil the more likely it will be to catch anything that is in your line, copper shavings, bits of dirt.

Post Likes
    Driers, disconnect, isopads, strap.

Post Likes
    That is an icp/carrier condenser so the filter dryer is not in the unit as they are shipped uninstalled and strapped to back of unit at service valves. I prefer them outside the unit as they are easier/more apt to be changed after compressor change or opening the system. However if they are not installed from factory some techs will not do it and you end up with this situation, so its a toss up.

Post Likes
    low voltage wiring is hanging lose instead of being zip tied to liquid tight

Post Likes
    After enlarging pic , I see corrosion on LL under hole. Also looks kinda crunched . But the green corr, in the area is suspect.

Post Likes
    excuse this, computer illiterate. belong on other.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in