Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I got a panic call (on a Saturday) from one of my meat market customers some years ago. It seems a delivery truck backed into the condensing unit for meat cases...and nearly knocking over an entire rack of others.

I got there and found the suction valve and compressor stub on a CR Copeland total crushed...among other things. So to get it back on line I unsweated the stub from the shell, cleaned it up good, brazed in a 7/8" street 90 using 45% and repiped it direct...eliminating the mangled suction valve.

The vendor paid for a new unit which got installed in following week. I subsequently sold the original to a C-store for their walk-in and it's still running today.

How about 15% rod and flux. I know it's ideal, but would it work? I managed to find the correct adapter to use the valve, but out of 45%. nowhere open till Monday? Anybody ever done it?

Quote Originally Posted by kklobas View Post
    How about 15% rod and flux. I know it's ideal, but would it work? I managed to find the correct adapter to use the valve, but out of 45%. nowhere open till Monday? Anybody ever done it?

It's all I ever use.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

Some guys on here have said they use 15% with the white flux and have good results. 45% is indeed better, but I've tried it with 15% and it will work fairly well with copper to brass, not so well (but passable) with copper to steel. I've seen the adapters come as either brass or steel. The key is to get everything clean, and when you think it's clean, then clean it again. Heat until you get it to flow well, but don't overheat it or burn it.

I suggest you practice on something similar to what you have before you mess up a perfectly good compressor stub.

You may want to start out doing a few copper-to-copper joints first, then progress to brass and then steel...just to get a feel for it.

Quote Originally Posted by crackertech View Post
    It's all I ever use.
    CT is one of those guys I was thinking of.

Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    CT is one of those guys I was thinking of.

Howdy ice.
    I love the smell of phosgene first thing in the morning:

To apply for professional membership click here

Educational forums are open.

If you would like to submit a link or an article or other related info to the EF. click here

right on. thanks. i have the white flux and 15% I'll be giving it a shot.

I was thinking- why dont they just sell the new rota locks with a 1 inch stub of copper already brazed on (by a copeland robot) so we would then just do a standard copper/copper joint? I guess that's to practical?

Well did it with flux and 15. Very tricky welding the dissimilar metals had a pin hole leak that took 3 try's to finally seal up.
    What the hell is the trick to getting a good leak free weld with these?

Well did it with flux and 15. Very tricky welding the dissimilar metals had a pin hole leak that took 3 try's to finally seal up.
    I've been using the blue "blockade" stuff! No leaks!

Sounds like you burnt the flux off. They do make a black flux that is higher temp.
    Heat evenly by constantly moving the flame. I get it going mostly on the copper till it takes on one side then move to the other side and quickly walk it around to fill in.
    I grew up on 15 and 45 gives me trouble lol
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    Some guys on here have said they use 15% with the white flux and have good results. 45% is indeed better, but I've tried it with 15% and it will work fairly well with copper to brass,
    had this one a few years back, I was not running the job but looking after comississioning/start up on a market install with 2 out door racks, I wanted to put a brass 3/8 service/charging port on the main LT & MT loop on the inside on top of a walk in box and I brazed in one in with 45% and the long time install install guy who probably has been around as long as ice did the other with 5%, just to show that it works and he's done it that way for years and years! never heard of a leak onit yet, lol

Mike
    Sig removed by mod. G-Rated site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12