Thread: Auto body shop--to A/C, or not to A/C--that is my question!

Post Likes

Auto body shop--to A/C, or not to A/C--that is my question!

Yeah, sorry for the Shakespearean slip.... (got you to look though) I hope I'm asking for input in the right place--if not, I assume the mods here will move me or let me know...

Here's the story--I'll try to keep it brief.

My shop--6000 sq ft, basically a pole barn(insulated), open ceiling, 13.5ft high at the eaves. 3 phase power(240 delta)

I traded into two new(old stock)never installed/or used Carrier heat/air units, both 48TF, one is a ten ton(D012) and a 12 ton(E014). Both are 460v 3 phase. I'm in them for -0- dollars, btw. Too much temptation to make them work somehow.

I'd like to have a/c in the shop, as middle Tennessee gets hot an humid in the summer....and I ain't getting any younger....

You guys have any idea what pitfalls I'm apt to encounter? How might I make the Delta 3 phase run the 460? Is 22.5 tons enough? General advice?
    Thanks in advance--I know nothing about the topic at hand(HVAC)--I do paint and body. If I can help any of you guys with questions of my area of expertise, by all means ask send me a pm and I'll do my best to help in return.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ealrschieb View Post
    Yeah, sorry for the Shakespearean slip.... (got you to look though) I hope I'm asking for input in the right place--if not, I assume the mods here will move me or let me know...

100% outside air for return

Here's the story--I'll try to keep it brief.

My shop--6000 sq ft, basically a pole barn(insulated), open ceiling, 13.5ft high at the eaves. 3 phase power(240 delta)

I traded into two new(old stock)never installed/or used Carrier heat/air units, both 48TF, one is a ten ton(D012) and a 12 ton(E014). Both are 460v 3 phase. I'm in them for -0- dollars, btw. Too much temptation to make them work somehow.

I'd like to have a/c in the shop, as middle Tennessee gets hot an humid in the summer....and I ain't getting any younger....

You guys have any idea what pitfalls I'm apt to encounter? How might I make the Delta 3 phase run the 460? Is 22.5 tons enough? General advice?
    Thanks in advance--I know nothing about the topic at hand(HVAC)--I do paint and body. If I can help any of you guys with questions of my area of expertise, by all means ask send me a pm and I'll do my best to help in return.
    100% outside air for return

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ealrschieb View Post
    What power supply (voltage?) do you have into the building? If you have 208-230/3phase into the building then I would suggest selling those rtu's as it will cost a boatload of money to convert them over to the lower voltage, the same goes if you only have a single phase service into your building. You might be able to have the power company bring in the correct transformer but you go back to the boatload of money problem, new service into the building, possible that the power company will charge you for the transformer.

You'd probably be better off getting the information that you seek from a local commercial electrician.

I do think that you'd like to have the ac in your paint booth as you can better keep the room at optimum temperature/humidity. Allows the paint to flow nice, or atleast much better than on a 90 degree day with 95% HUMIDITY.

...Ron
    Roof Rat

Post Likes
    460v ac's with 240v service= not gonna work without completely redoing all the controls and components which = likely more $ than what its worth.

Post Likes
    ask power co. what it would cost to bring 460 into bldg and then go from there

Post Likes
    Buck and Boost transformers should get you your power. May cost as much as the equipment with the size you need.
    ckartson
    I didn't write the book I just read it!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in