No picture, but.. Central CO Poisoning Air.
I went to a job last Friday, was called there because their Furnace got shut off and disconnected as an hazard. Got there, the customer talked to me angrily about how the bastards that shut their furnace off are lying and trying to make money off of them by blackmailing and coercing them. They wanted me to turn the heating back on. Well, okay then.
Went up into the attic and was trying to figure out what the issue is. Brand new furnace install. I see no issues. Wait a minute, why is the flue pipe going outside the house horizonally for 20 feet when it could just go a couple feet through the roof?
Wait.. no... oh my god. The flue is connected to a supply register in the family room. Keep in mind this is an induced fan motor furnace.
I about s*** a brick.
I asked her who installed that pipe. It was her husband. I asked why. Apparently, when the roofers came, they removed the flue so it was just venting into the attic, and sealed the existing hole for the old flue. When the husband went up to inspect the system, he noticed hot air blowing out of the flue and assumed it was supply hot air that got disconnected.
He could not find a register it went to, so decided it was a shoddy install by the people who put it in, cut a new register in the family room, and ran duct to it. It's been like that for over a year.
I explained to her that it's a miracle her family is alive.
She did not believe me, still, because I was trying to make money off her. And her husband "knows these things" better than I do.
I left it shut off and bailed from the house.
I just about s*** a brick reading that.
Wow that is nuts. The nerve if some people after making sure their life wasn't at risk, proceeded to act that way........
i would report it to the fire inspector. only just to CMA in case some thing does happen.....you were the last guy that looked at it.
You literally have to show people the most obvious things sometimes, stick a co alarm in the register, even a cheap one should go off there. People like that are the reason co alarms are required by code in wi now.
been in the situation before; as soon as I was in eyeshot of furnace started taking pictures. Nothing ticks me off more than customer jumping my @ss as soon as I get there, then insinuating I'm lying.
It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.
You can't teach old dogs new tricks.
It's not if your doing it right it's whether your doing the right thing that is important.
It's amazing they'll stick behind it even after they know the danger. Some people amaze me
It also goes to show you, quite dramatically, how a furnace has to be producing inordinate amounts of co before it can even give you a headache, much less make you seriously ill.
They were, after all, dumping it right inside the dwelling.
Amazing, ain't it?
Originally Posted by Dehno
If you want to get political, please do it in the ARP Forum. That is the place for it, this is not.
Last edited by k-fridge; 06-07-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Now why in the world would you take a thread like this and try to politicize it? Aside from the fact your post makes no sense, it does not belong here. If you want to make political commentaries, take it to the ARP section.
Originally Posted by hackofalltrades
Keep the fire inside the fireplace.
It's just Diceman's 100% AFUE furnace design being field tested!
If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.