Need a new employer in FLORIDA!!!

Living in Coral Springs, and I have worked for several of them already down here. The ones I haven't I'd rather NEVER work for...lol Here's the rundown of MY history...One guy left me on a jobsite past 11PM with no vehicle, I quit. Next company had another tech. burn a house down, and we were all let go because he went out of business. That was fun. Next guy I watched wire a pancake airhandler in an apartment to the doorbell. This was the OWNER of the company. SIGH. Next guy didn't believe in cranes. Used rope to drag unit to top of roof. Old unit was very large. No rope, push it over side. Onto a car. I don't know what became of him or his company, I was paid right then and there, took my tools, and left. He left too. No insurance I was told. Next company wanted me to gas-and-go. Um, I have ethics so I didn't stand for that. Next company told me I had to sell parts whether they were needed or not. Was told to DISABLE unit until I could sell a part. I have ethics, I left. Next guy screwed me out of my pay when I got hurt on job. That is handled now, and I am not injured or anything anymore, no biggie. Next guy stole from a homeowner. I watched him. Then I left. Finally, my previous employer was a little off when working. After awhile, he finally let me in on the secret. Shooting heroin. Not that I will ever need to know how, but he showed me how. I am at a loss. I am 30 years old, and I don't need this kind of history in the field with employers, okay? How do these guys get to own companies? For the past few months, I have been doing it on my own subcontracting under someone's license. I love not having to deal with morons, homeowners excepted, but the business just isn't there in enough bulk to feed me much longer. I am wits end, someone please tell me you are hiring or know of a place where you are that can shelter me from these jerkoffs that can't run a business. I am a damned fine residential installer, and I have run service before. I'd be very happy just banging out condensors all day, or closet-hangers for apartment complexes if you have any of those huge sites lined up. Yeah, I can do ductwork (sigh.) To be honest, I'll answer the phone in the office and handle equipment at this point. Email me, I will probably never be able to find this page again on here to see the replies...I am pretty easy to get along with if you don't rob homeowners, don't wire a system to a doorbell, and don't shoot heroin on a jobsite. I am a go-getter, I work my rear off, and I get along great with customers. I have a helper that's been with me through a few of these companies, and he is a duct machine. Flex, board, he's my ***** and he loves it. We don't LOVE the metal stuff, as I said, we are residential guys mainly...But we get the job done, get paid, and don't call in sick or steal. It isn't worth it. Putting me in your vehicle will probably lower your insurance like it did to my last few employers, as mty record is cleaner than yours...No offense. I have all my own tools. Vac, torches, hand, drills, hell, I even have a couple 10-seer CDU's in boxes I never got to install. I need work, I need a dude that lets me work, and I don't need problems like I have had already. Tell me you can help me, I'd appreciate it.

Xerotrek328@aol.com
    "Mess with the best...Die like the rest!!!"

And my wife wants me to sell my business and move to Florida and work for someone!

You need to be more cautious before you sign on with a company, don't take every job that is offered to you.

Find out who the good companies are and go sell yourself to them.

Working for Morons

Glad to hear I'm not the only mechanic with a similar work background. I keep ending up working for unprofessional morons (A person exhibiting the mildest degree of mental deficiency), who only seem interested in robbing the customer blind. My suggestion is to only work for larger companies i.e. over 10 mechanics. Only work for a company who can afford a Human Resources department. The HR people seem to keep companies honest and playing by the legal rules. Larger companies have more to loose by breaking the laws then smaller companies who just go out of business and start up a new company the next day under a new name.

Coral Springs, hmm....

Look at my website, some past post answers that I have replied to, and email me. My email is on my profile.
    I will take it form there after we talk on the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by xero328 View Post
    Living in Coral Springs, and I have worked for several of them already down here. The ones I haven't I'd rather NEVER work for...lol Here's the rundown of MY history...One guy left me on a jobsite past 11PM with no vehicle, I quit. Next company had another tech. burn a house down, and we were all let go because he went out of business. That was fun. Next guy I watched wire a pancake airhandler in an apartment to the doorbell. This was the OWNER of the company. SIGH. Next guy didn't believe in cranes. Used rope to drag unit to top of roof. Old unit was very large. No rope, push it over side. Onto a car. I don't know what became of him or his company, I was paid right then and there, took my tools, and left. He left too. No insurance I was told. Next company wanted me to gas-and-go. Um, I have ethics so I didn't stand for that. Next company told me I had to sell parts whether they were needed or not. Was told to DISABLE unit until I could sell a part. I have ethics, I left. Next guy screwed me out of my pay when I got hurt on job. That is handled now, and I am not injured or anything anymore, no biggie. Next guy stole from a homeowner. I watched him. Then I left. Finally, my previous employer was a little off when working. After awhile, he finally let me in on the secret. Shooting heroin. Not that I will ever need to know how, but he showed me how. I am at a loss. I am 30 years old, and I don't need this kind of history in the field with employers, okay? How do these guys get to own companies? For the past few months, I have been doing it on my own subcontracting under someone's license. I love not having to deal with morons, homeowners excepted, but the business just isn't there in enough bulk to feed me much longer. I am wits end, someone please tell me you are hiring or know of a place where you are that can shelter me from these jerkoffs that can't run a business. I am a damned fine residential installer, and I have run service before. I'd be very happy just banging out condensors all day, or closet-hangers for apartment complexes if you have any of those huge sites lined up. Yeah, I can do ductwork (sigh.) To be honest, I'll answer the phone in the office and handle equipment at this point. Email me, I will probably never be able to find this page again on here to see the replies...I am pretty easy to get along with if you don't rob homeowners, don't wire a system to a doorbell, and don't shoot heroin on a jobsite. I am a go-getter, I work my rear off, and I get along great with customers. I have a helper that's been with me through a few of these companies, and he is a duct machine. Flex, board, he's my ***** and he loves it. We don't LOVE the metal stuff, as I said, we are residential guys mainly...But we get the job done, get paid, and don't call in sick or steal. It isn't worth it. Putting me in your vehicle will probably lower your insurance like it did to my last few employers, as mty record is cleaner than yours...No offense. I have all my own tools. Vac, torches, hand, drills, hell, I even have a couple 10-seer CDU's in boxes I never got to install. I need work, I need a dude that lets me work, and I don't need problems like I have had already. Tell me you can help me, I'd appreciate it.

Xerotrek328@aol.com

Welcome to FLORIDA,......
    Refrigeration...Finding the Wright Wrench to pound in the correct..Screw

Contact ARPA, good guy and a good employer Im sure.

Bob, you have got to be kidding me. You guys dont seem like florida folk and besides, you have a good outfit overday.
    " Kill a Commie for Mommy! "

- Colonel David Hackworth (1930-2005), Korean War Vet

Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    Contact ARPA, good guy and a good employer Im sure.

Bob, you have got to be kidding me. You guys dont seem like florida folk and besides, you have a good outfit overday.

Michelle and I have seriously talked over the last few weeks about doing that.

Need good installers here in Seattle still..

Good area, good money....c'mon, the labor pool is small here right now. Can't I get anyone to bite..lol.

Quote Originally Posted by HeyBob View Post
    And my wife wants me to sell my business and move to Florida and work for someone!

You need to be more cautious before you sign on with a company, don't take every job that is offered to you.

Find out who the good companies are and go sell yourself to them.
    You don't want to come here, You will be In shock with what Is here, " A famous Florida quote".

Do you know how to make a small fortune In Florida????

Start with a large one first....
    Refrigeration...Finding the Wright Wrench to pound in the correct..Screw

Wow, I remember this post. Let's see, what has changed in the past 6 or so years? Well, the heroin-shooting ex-boss was in the newspapers a few months ago, and it is a very sad story. I am REALLY wanting to go into detail about what happened to him, but there is the chance he sees this post someday and knows I posted on here back then. So I will include the link to the story from the newspaper...
    http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/201...metal-detector

I know for a fact it was a leak detector, because he has had the same one for years in and out of the pawn shop. He always says it's his favorite piece of equipment...Sad how it's more important than his wife.

Anyway, I work now for a few property management companies just repairing on-the-cheap, which sucks because I am too good to get rich with clalbacks, but for too cheap bosses to buy me new units to install. SIGH. Thank goodness I have my own company now, just me and a helper here and there, and can be picky about what i put MY name on.

Taking sub work from a couple different companies pretty regularly, but I take one or two from EVERY company annually...To stay in their good graces, and so i am not seen as a competitor. On more than one occasion, they have backed-off and handed me an install when we were head-to-head. It's nice to be treated like a little brother now and then. Always taking calls from new customers, and not getting calls from people I repaired or installed before...Until their system needs replacing, coils need a cleaning, or new house they a-moving.

Hating the undercutting punks down here in Florida...I am not going to go below X dollars, and that is FINAL. But I can't compete with the huge rebate and discounts the chains are getting, sure can't buy in bulk like them, can't advertise NEAR as much, and do NOT have 60 trucks. I also can't finance like the chains, and it hurts because these customers are of the opinion that paying later is sort of playing it safe...The company can't run out on you if there is a problem. I KNOW I am married to that customer for at least a year no matter what if I installed their system. I tell them that I am not going anywhere, I am happy to come by to check every 6 months, ring me and ask questions, it is FINE. But I'm not a chain.

Let's see...I think the tally is up to 200-something homeowners calling me to pull a permit after-the-fact, when the guy they used (instead of me in some cases,) got caught or cannot pull a permit. I used to entertain them thinking it might make me some money, but now I let them amuse me with their pleading and "negotiating." I quite enjoy hearing their arguments fall by the wayside to my single-word rebuttal...CHEAPSKATE.

How many slabs missing a condensing unit have I seen? TOO many. Hundreds. At least a dozen this week. Always same areas, sometimes in nice neighborhoods when people are on vacation, etc. Sad.

I have seen ONE other pancake unit wired to a doorbell. Some hack that my old boss probably trained...

I have seen an air handler installed upside-down...Coils installed sideways...Coils with some VERY interesting drains, considering they are cracked and owner didn't want to replace. Using extra panels from units, aux pans mounted on 2X4s under wall-hanger...I LOVE the unit I saw with 2 condensate pumps...One pumped into the other...Then out to drain...It had to have been done as a joke, or they REALLY wanted to sell that other pump...

After the hurricane, I drove around with everyone else looking for aluminum screened-in-porches to haul away, and then when the power came back I went around selling fuses and disconnect boxes. Stocked 07 Chevy, with everything but ladders and board handy...Ready for service calls...

Only have a new 2.5 r22 cdu in-box waiting for mine to go, and a 4-year-old handler brazed shut waiting for me when the coil gives out, spare blower assembly as well. Parts galore, and only new or SLIGHTLY used...Shoot, I even keep a 80X5 bicap handy...When i need one, I buy TWO...Running out of room...

At last count, regular torch, turbo on a small acetylene, turbo on a large acetylene, 2 extra acetylene tanks and 2 oxygen, two N2 shorties and a tall one as well, yadda yadda...I am roaring and proud. Should take a photo of truck and post at some point.

But still looking for that ideal spot somewhere so I can just bang out a changeout a day (at good money) and run service until I want to go home. Never seems to work that way...Always wanting me to sell, repair what is too much of a HASSLE to do, filling out paperwork that the chick in the office should be doing and not me...Dealing with the constant cheap customers and BEYOND tired of collecting checks and charges way above what I am going to make.

I am not getting rich, but I am not broke yet either, and I cannot work for someone regularly who cheats me or the customer. I can afford to be REAL picky about what jobs I take, and I turn down a LOT. Not greedy, but not an idiot. I know who makes what, and I want someone who splits it like I split it with my helpers. FAIRLY. I know what I am worth, and I know what I'd make if I cut the boss out and stole his customer, so it is tempting. There shouldn't be a NEED for me to be tempted. If it was about a few dollars, I am sure most everyone would let it go figuring it isn;t worth it. THERE is the key...Make it SO close that people are NOT tempted.

I can say I haven't stolen a customer yet. I have ethics, and I don't steal. I have learned SO much being on both sides though, and it is not difficult to see the arguments. What is hard to see is the benefit of having such a wide disparity between what I make as a sub and what I make as the contractor. And when it's for a price I could have beaten, well...That isn't right.

I went off-track, but I think I made a few points. I will hopefully be on more often now. Maybe one day i will find that perfect fit with another company, maybe the money will be right, maybe the work will be challenging, maybe I won't get laid-off after 90 days or get tired of an idiot telling me what to do because his daddy owns the company, or a customer who has a computer and thinks he can do it himself...

Oh, here's the BEST story...

Customer calls me, DIY, wants me to come assist him, bring some tools...Nope. Talked him into I will inspect his self-installed system for $100, talk about repairs at that time. Do NOT open the king valves until I am there. Said that a dozen times.

He rang me about 20 times over 2 days, asking this, that, advice, what do I do now...Just a real noob...But a SMART noob...TOO smart...

Finally, Sunday afternoon, he's ready for me. Sir, do NOT open valves, let me psi check first, pull vacuum, etc. Ok. Ten minutes later he's on phone...There's freon everywhere...I know sir, I am down the block and see the cloud. I TOLD you not to open valves!

Collected my $100 before I went onto property, I am trying not to laugh as he is freaking out...I walk around house berating him, he says but it isn't my fault because there CANNOT be a leak. Sir, there's a CLOUD. But I didn't weld anything! Sir, that's why there is a cloud. NO, I TRIED to weld but I kept melting the pipe...OMG

Turned corner...Saw EVERYTHING insulated. S-line, L-line, impressive, even a new chase...Sir, why is that chase up and foamed? You have a LEAK. It DOES NOT LEAK, I DID NOT WELD. Sigh. Sir, you need to braze the pipes. THEY MELTED. Sir, what torch are you using to melt copper? NO TORCH. Then how...Wait a second...Let me see this piping...He COULD NOT HAVE...But he did...P....V....C

BOTH lines. Wow. And I am seeing 90 after 90 after 90...all beautifully run....A chase...Foamed...Tapconned...Sir, how did you get the PVC to, oh wait, I see the glue right there, yep. Sir, you need to have COPPER run. PVC doesn't hold pressure really well from copper coils and fittings...BUT IT'S CHEAPER...I know sir, but you need it done right. Where did you even FIND PVC that would fit onto the 3/8...You know, just forget my questions, let me price it out for you.

Can't make that up. Just too idiotic to conceive. I tell that story and its just the ultimate topper.