+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how likely is injury in hvac?

Post Likes

how likely is injury in hvac?

hi I'm new here

my husband has been getting hurt at work every year for almost 4 years, that means out of work for 3 up to 6 months. 2 different jobs. I told him he really should be more careful and to change the field of work, but he gets angry and said it happens a lot especially in this field. Early this year, there was a faulty equipment and he got hurt bad. He said his coworker had the same thing happen with the same equipment and now they replaced it. There was an incidence with his spine, wrist, arm, and electricity in the past, different situations. sorry, for privacy I can't go so much into details. he works in commercial.i t's not that I don't take his word but I would like him to go into a new field if this keeps happening I'm just worried and stressed out about it right now

Post Likes
    Unfortunately injuries are part of the trade. It's something that all of us and our families accept that this work is dangerous and any day could be our last. Without knowing what happened its hard to say if the injuries are "normal" for our trade, but I can tell you that most of my more serious injuries happened while I was in a hurry and did something stupid.

Post Likes
    Every job has risks of injury. It is more how well the company works to minimize those risks. Working commercial means a larger company. Those usually have a safety program to keep their employees safe. The less injuries they have, the better deal they can get on workman's comp insurance.

Hurt every year and out for 3 to 6 months does not sound the standard for this industry. Most guys might have one or two injuries like that in their career (guessing). Injuries that cause you to miss a day or two or maybe even a week, yes that can be pretty common.
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

Post Likes
    Been doing this for 22 years and had a slipped disc in my neck once...didn't work for 3 months.

Sounds like your husband needs to be more careful and pay attention. If something doesn't look safe, don't do it until the situation is remedied.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZQR2WDlGtA

Post Likes
    I don't know your husband's age, but this is a young man's work. Their is plenty of lifting, climbing, kneeling, and bodily contortion involved. After a number of years, the little nagging injuries add up.

Post Likes
    It happens. I've been injured 3 times, in 15 years, that required time off work. 2 requiring surgery, and the latest, which I am going thru right now, possibly multiple surgeries. Still love the work, and not sure I'd want to do anything else.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    It's more dangerous then a lot of people realize. I have been fortunate. The many injuries I have had I would classify as minor, a day or 2 off at most. You WILL get cut. You WILL get shocked. You WILL get burned. You WILL smash something. It's all about trying to identify hazards before they get you. Trying. Stuff happens and complacency gets us all at least once.

Post Likes
    1- have to recognize a danger beforehand.

2-have to have stones large enough to put a stop to the situation(if stones aren't big enough; might consider taking an OSHA course and getting phone #)

3- can't be scared for your job (it may cost you your life)

4- camera phone creates a wonderful "paper trail"-----------------document, document , document.....................
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    I've been doing this trade for 8 years now (I know, not as long as others).
    I've had stitches in my hands twice, burned twice and had countless strains, sprains and pulls, and one eye injury (steel chips)
    All these things happened because I wasn't careful or wasn't wearing PPE, fortunately I've only had to go on modified duties, no time off.

The government around here takes workplace injuries very seriously, and won't pay worker's comp if you're the idiot that caused the injury.

With all due respect to you and your husband, every injury can be avoided by being aware, and being prepared for the work at hand. However, if his boss isn't providing the the training like he should, then the boss shares responsibility as well.

Post Likes
    All good responses.

I have only been at it 6 years, and count myself fortunate to not have had any major injuries, all minor, cuts, burns etc, never missed time off work. My boss is very safety conscious, and stands behind any decision I make if safety is a concern. I reflect his concern for safety onto the guys that I manage.

Be carefully, stay sharp, stay alive

Post Likes
    Arcing electricity, moving parts, climbing and crawling as well as the daily driving are all hazardous and demand the utmost respect.

Post Likes
    One time loss injury in 20 years, and it was because I ignored safety procedures. It is a dangerous job, but with the right attitude and PPE, the time loss accidents can be greatly reduced.

Post Likes
    Hindsight is 20/20
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    I've got two years in next week with nothing serious and no missed work. But those minor incidents I shook off could have been much worse. One time I was simply in a hurry, trying to get a family back into heat the day before Thanksgiving; stepping out of my truck with some 4" pipe and a 543T and missed the back bumper entirely. That's about three feet of nothing.

However it really sounds like your guy, his bosses or both of them are making unwise decisions. Four times in four years requiring that much time off seems excessive...

Post Likes
    There is no 'risk free' life... yet we all manage our risks. Just life.

I have been doing residential work for over a decade... nothing serious has happened to me. Yes, the minor stuff happens... just part of working with one's hands and body... yet major stuff is avoidable if one pays attention and thinks BEFORE doing something.

Job safety is a choice... make it wisely.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    If only I had a dollar for each time I gotten shocked ....

Post Likes
    It seems that all trade work is potentially dangerous. i have been hurt a few times in the last 35 years, in 2 different trades.
    A good friend that has been a wood worker for at least 30 years cut off 2 fingers last week.
    I guess computer guys get eye strain and carpal tunnel problems.

Post Likes
    I like to cut tendons, two surgeries in the last five years, six months sense my last tendon repair. I don't do duct work anymore so I should be getting off the surgeons mailing list.

Post Likes
    be aware of your surroundings and ALWAYS make sure the leads on your amp meter are working.

Post Likes
    That's is not normal! There is no question commercial and even residential HVAC is dangerous work. That being said. Does your husband laugh at safety and call it ridiculous or take it serious and do his best to avoid dangerous situations? Is he just trying to impress his boss?

I have guys that think they are doing me a favor by taking risks to get the job done. Their great guys with big hearts and their really smart. I usually sit them down and explain that the compensation rates are way to high that I can't take the risk and really they don't want to send time injured unable to play with their kids. I would much rather have them go back to the shop and grab the right equipment to do the job safely.

I don't know how it is in the USA but in Canada now if an employee gets hurt the employer is automatically guilty and then must prove their innocents by providing the records of the employees safety training.

I hope your husband can find something safer for him to do as an occupation.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in