Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    Even better, they should be required to measure static pressure, show the refrigerant data (temps & pressures) and certify the unit after installation. If static pressure is high, you can recalculate the nominal efficiency ratings due to increased blower power consumption or on a PSC motor the reduced capacity.

Unfortunately until it is required by DOE this will not take place. The majority of all dealers do not have the competency to comply. The manufactures need to move boxes and these requirements even though I agree should be mandated will not be implemented by the manufacturer.

The only current way is to educate the consumer and have them demand it from the dealer. If the dealer can not comply with the requirements, call another. When the dealer can not sell equipment to the consumer then changes will be made.
    As long as consumers are more concerned with who's $50 cheaper it will never happen. I don't know how many times I have educated the HO, it looked like they were going my direction and the next thing I know I hear is "Well we know we should make these changes but right now we just need to get it going." Then they go cheap, the problems that caused it to fail in the first place goes unrepaired.

I fight that mentality almost daily with management in as a facilities engineer. They finally turned a corner and I'm able ot say, "listen, if we spend $$$$ more now, I will save you 2X that 4-5 years from now. The worst is engineering. Their primary goal is first cost and their roejct timeline. Long term operating costs and service life are irrlevant in most cases.

I'm having to pay out big time to upgrade the specification for a railroad crossing so it will last more than 12-16 months. I either spend and extra $40k now and do it right during a 2 day period, or we tear it all out 2 years from now and spend probably $60k and 4 days of downtime to do it right then. Gee... which makes more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post

I'm having to pay out big time to upgrade the specification for a railroad crossing so it will last more than 12-16 months. I either spend and extra $40k now and do it right during a 2 day period, or we tear it all out 2 years from now and spend probably $60k and 4 days of downtime to do it right then. Gee... which makes more sense.
    . _ Kick the can down the road._

We'll cross that crossing later /// In the interests of Full Employment at some point in the future, let's put in crap now.

a.k.a. philosophy of The Idiots on the Potomac
    or any 'government think' entity
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12