Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Frankenchiller

Is this a chiller or a water cooled AC.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukoncornelious View Post
    Thanks 357, was concerned that even the pressure on the suction side would blow back and kill my hand pump etc. but it's safe to do this? And while its running?
    With a Robin Air or better . No while it is off, With it running you run the risk of OIL SLUGGING.

Yeah freon, that was my first semi/h rebuild and totaling was not very forthcoming with help. Needless to say I was very careful matching up all replacement parts. I should also mention that some one added hgbp unloaders and as a consequence had to remove the pump down cycle.

Tommy, this is a chiller with water cooled cond

...however I don't understand why my sc is low...
    I told you already. It is because you have such low suction superheat. Low suction superheat means the gas is more dense which means that there are more refrigerant molecules in the evaporator and suction line than there is supposed to be. Higher suction superheat equals fewer molecules in the evaporator...so those molecules are then stored in the condenser/liquid line side which raises your subcooling.

Confused

Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    I told you already. It is because you have such low suction superheat. Low suction superheat means the gas is more dense which means that there are more refrigerant molecules in the evaporator and suction line than there is supposed to be. Higher suction superheat equals fewer molecules in the evaporator...so those molecules are then stored in the condenser/liquid line side which raises your subcooling.
    Ok but my sc isLOW , I am aware that liquid backing up into cond will raise sc higher than normal and drop hi side.

Tommy, this is a chiller with water cooled cond
    What is your leaving water temp compared to your SST? Cooler leaving water temp?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy knocker View Post
    What is your leaving water temp compared to your SST? Cooler leaving water temp?
    Is the oil in the sight glass foaming? Is your crank case warm or cool?

No foam in sight glass, going to recheck evap approach because I don't trust existing thermometers, I believe 7/8 deg is standard. Entire rear section of comp cool only heads and disch hot.

" I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue"

It is very difficult to come up with any good info on this because totaline comp, db evap, ?. Marine grade cond barrel that was guesstimated, however I made it work and its been producing good indoor air splits for two seasons, just need to get a couple more out of it. It's prob around 30 years old at least.

Ok but my sc isLOW , I am aware that liquid backing up into cond will raise sc higher than normal and drop hi side.
    I am thinking that you don't get it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12