+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 410 a leaks

Post Likes

410 a leaks

anyone having trouble finding leaks in residential 410a equipment I use an h10 I was told it was designed for refrigerants with chlorine and to turn up the diode

Post Likes
    No trouble here. I use the medium setting for R-22 and the low setting for HFC's. What my manual says to do and I find it works.

Post Likes
    We resorted to using dye.
    We're awl pawthetic and kweepy and can't get giwrls. That's why we fight wobots.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chaard View Post
    We resorted to using dye.

Post Likes
    9 times out of 10 I found the leaks mid-section of the evaporator coil when it's a 410a system. Especially a Lennox coil.

Post Likes
    The new field piece is great for 410

Post Likes
    I have found the Amprobe UltraSonic to be very good for finding leaks in coils.

Post Likes
    I bought a cheap CPS detector and it works great on 410 but not so good on 22

Post Likes
    410a was specifically designed to be higher in pressure to environmentally safe, as opposed to R22. Now after stating the obvious, the reason there are so many more leaks in 410a systems is because of a design flaw that many manufacturer's didn't see coming. A condensating coil, such as an evap coil, with R410a running through copper tubing eats the copper away. THEN! The best part happens, the water mixes with the refrigerant and causes acidic properties that harm many known metals. It's pretty crazy but most brands have moved to aluminum evap coils. Or better yet, aluminum painted copper coils. lol

Post Likes
    I side tracked. My answer would be the good, old fashioned, soap and bubbles. I have found some leaks I would have completely overlooked without it. Messy but very successful.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in