+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tools for HVAC first job

Post Likes

Tools for HVAC first job

Have an interview coming up and hoping I land it(apprentice) My question is what does a company usually supply? I already have the majority of all my hand tools, just wondering if most companies will have me using gauges and multimeters right off the bat, that I need to get my own before I start. I do plan on getting my own gauges and meter just can't afford it right now working part time and going to school. If they do I guess could borrow some money from someone and pay them back, just rather not. Thanks.

Post Likes
    Companies usually supply recovery machines and possibly vacuum pumps. Some may supply torches. The rest is up to you.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Dont worry about it. Dont take offense to this but coming out of school you dont know enough to work on a customers piece of equipment alone, and we don't expect you too.. The best thing you can do is show up 15 mins early to work and be ready to work.. LISTEN to what the boss/ mechanic is telling you, then do... If you dont understand ask.

Really someone just starting out thats all I expect. Have basic hand tool (drills, Wrenches, Screwdriver, Pliers etc.) Then as time goes on buy a tool a week or so.. Maybe your boss will give you a little tool account and take say $25.00 out of your check a week to pay him back.. That happens a lot around here..

One other word of advise. Be HONEST on that interview. If for some reason you actually blow smoke and he doesnt realize, he will in a week after working with you..

Good luck.
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    I'd reccomend getting a meter and guages. Don't buy cheap tools because they don't work as well and don't last as long. Fieldpiece makes good affordable meters as does uei. Guages (analogue= yellow jacket digital=digicool ak900). Klein, Malco, knipex, channelock, rothenberger, Lennox, vaco, ridgid, etc.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    I'd reccomend getting a meter and guages. Don't buy cheap tools because they don't work as well and don't last as long. Fieldpiece makes good affordable meters as does uei. Guages (analogue= yellow jacket digital=digicool ak900). Klein, Malco, knipex, channelock, rothenberger, Lennox, vaco, ridgid, etc.
    Manifolds are cheap. They rape you on the hoses.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    X2

Post Likes
    Thanks for the info guys. The employer called me 2weeks ago and talked with me for about 30mins and told me at the beginning of the call to be HONEST, which I was. I have only been in school for less than a year(4 basic classes) and told him all this. He said he did not expect me to know everything and that they would probably have to re-teach me things their way. He told me to call when I finished up with school and we would meet and talk. He even sent an email after the initial call saying how much enjoyed talking with me. So fingers crossed!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctuck View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. The employer called me 2weeks ago and talked with me for about 30mins and told me at the beginning of the call to be HONEST, which I was. I have only been in school for less than a year(4 basic classes) and told him all this. He said he did not expect me to know everything and that they would probably have to re-teach me things their way. He told me to call when I finished up with school and we would meet and talk. He even sent an email after the initial call saying how much enjoyed talking with me. So fingers crossed!

Wow. Im impressed with the sounds of your possible employer. Sounds like a good opportunity. Lets us know how you make out.
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    x3

I'm going to tell you what I told my students. Everyone wants the most awesome gauges but here's the thing. Let's say you're on a compressor replacement and the tech you're working with has been told to leave a pressure test on overnight. It so happens you used your gauges for that job and tomorrow another team is going back to finish the job. Now your gauges are banging around in someone else's truck. Good thing you got the hot sh8t gauges, right? Spend your money on a meter, it will save your life. I recommend Fieldpiece.
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

Post Likes
    I wouldn't leave my guages hooked up on a system overnight. I'd be worried they wouldn't be there the next day, even if they were a cheap set you're looking at 100-200 bucks with hoses. I have a 6" hose with analogue guage on it that I have left on for overnight pressure testing.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    I wouldn't leave my guages hooked up on a system overnight. I'd be worried they wouldn't be there the next day, even if they were a cheap set you're looking at 100-200 bucks with hoses. I have a 6" hose with analogue guage on it that I have left on for overnight pressure testing.
    I agree but it's more feasible that you may have to leave a set of gauges on a unit overnight versus leaving a meter. Plus a meter will save you from injury by alerting you to a unit being electrified.
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Pascone10 View Post
    The best thing you can do is show up 15 mins early to work and be ready to work.. .
    And leave that damn cell phone OFF

Post Likes
    I just bought some YJ ball valve hoses today. I was wondering why I felt so Dirty now

Post Likes
    Buy the Fieldpeice HS36. They have everything you need and are good sturdy product. Learn how to use the meter properly. I find more electrical problems then I do refrigerant problems. Spend the 50 bucks for the yellow jacket ball valves to go on the end of your hoses. I can't even begin to explain in words how useful they those little ball valves are. Make sure when you get hoses you get some that are at least 6ft.

You don't need 500 dollar digital gauges right out of the gate and I would suggest for a starter it will gimp your growth.

If you get digital gauges first, you wont have a set of analog backups, you wont gain that repetitive experience doing superheat and sub-cooling calculation, cause when you don't have a set of digital gauges you will be lost. Plus, the new guy always ends up breaking expensive tools until they learn how important their tools are and how to properly take care of them.

Your company should supply Vacuum pump, Recover unit, Recovery tank, Weight Scale, Micron gauge, Nitrogen regulator and tank, and Torch set, however, you need a savings account that is separate from all the rest of your money.

You should plan on sticking 75-100 bucks a paycheck in it. I learned a long time ago that companies buy cheap and cheap usually doesn't get the job done, without some complication.

Plan on buying one really expensive item to make your job faster or easier after the first year then every 6 months following. Start with things like good power tools sets. I like Makita 18v hammer drill and impact set. Talk to the people you work with. What is their most useful tool? Why? What do they want they can't get and why?
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Post Likes
    Xceltech...thanks for the info. That's what I had in mind, to put some money aside and start getting some quality stuff. Good idea as well about not getting digis right away so that I can better myself with the superheat and sub cool calculations. Interview on Monday!

Post Likes
    Good luck on the interview. Show up ready to work and eager to learn, maybe they'll throw you in to ride along on the spot.

Post Likes
    And warn ya friends,family, girlfriends etc, not to be texting or calling during work hours unless it very important. I had one just this week, everytime I sent him after something at the truck he was on the phone from time he leftward until he came back.. Walking slow, on Facebook, or texting, and then he not remember half what to get.
    I don't know how old u are, but make sure you pull ur pants up. You will be bending and squatting a lot, so invest in a belt...
    And get a haircut before you start. I went and got mine during lunch the other day, and I had this same helper with me. When the lady finished mine I had him get one. That mess all down in his eyes, he said it been bout 3 months since his last one... Well since I told her how to cut it, I did pay for it... .

Post Likes
    I use a 5 gallon bucket with a Huskey Bucket jockey. Before I leave every job I make sure every tool is present and accounted for. A/C tools are way too expensive to be leaving in the attic. I would definetly acquire the following tools before going to work on the first day: LED headlamp, 1/4" and 5/16" nut drivers, Multimeter with amp clamp, Flathead and phillips head screwdrivers, wirestrippers and snips, electric drill.

Post Likes
    Well I got the job! I start Monday. My employer told me as long as it didn't interfere with work and pertained to what I wanted to do, that he would reimburse me for classes taken.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Ctuck View Post
    Well I got the job! I start Monday. My employer told me as long as it didn't interfere with work and pertained to what I wanted to do, that he would reimburse me for classes taken.
    Congrats, hope it works out for you.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in