Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Buy the Fieldpeice HS36. They have everything you need and are good sturdy product. Learn how to use the meter properly. I find more electrical problems then I do refrigerant problems. Spend the 50 bucks for the yellow jacket ball valves to go on the end of your hoses. I can't even begin to explain in words how useful they those little ball valves are. Make sure when you get hoses you get some that are at least 6ft.

You don't need 500 dollar digital gauges right out of the gate and I would suggest for a starter it will gimp your growth.

If you get digital gauges first, you wont have a set of analog backups, you wont gain that repetitive experience doing superheat and sub-cooling calculation, cause when you don't have a set of digital gauges you will be lost. Plus, the new guy always ends up breaking expensive tools until they learn how important their tools are and how to properly take care of them.

Your company should supply Vacuum pump, Recover unit, Recovery tank, Weight Scale, Micron gauge, Nitrogen regulator and tank, and Torch set, however, you need a savings account that is separate from all the rest of your money.

You should plan on sticking 75-100 bucks a paycheck in it. I learned a long time ago that companies buy cheap and cheap usually doesn't get the job done, without some complication.

Plan on buying one really expensive item to make your job faster or easier after the first year then every 6 months following. Start with things like good power tools sets. I like Makita 18v hammer drill and impact set. Talk to the people you work with. What is their most useful tool? Why? What do they want they can't get and why?
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Xceltech...thanks for the info. That's what I had in mind, to put some money aside and start getting some quality stuff. Good idea as well about not getting digis right away so that I can better myself with the superheat and sub cool calculations. Interview on Monday!

Good luck on the interview. Show up ready to work and eager to learn, maybe they'll throw you in to ride along on the spot.

And warn ya friends,family, girlfriends etc, not to be texting or calling during work hours unless it very important. I had one just this week, everytime I sent him after something at the truck he was on the phone from time he leftward until he came back.. Walking slow, on Facebook, or texting, and then he not remember half what to get.
    I don't know how old u are, but make sure you pull ur pants up. You will be bending and squatting a lot, so invest in a belt...
    And get a haircut before you start. I went and got mine during lunch the other day, and I had this same helper with me. When the lady finished mine I had him get one. That mess all down in his eyes, he said it been bout 3 months since his last one... Well since I told her how to cut it, I did pay for it... .

I use a 5 gallon bucket with a Huskey Bucket jockey. Before I leave every job I make sure every tool is present and accounted for. A/C tools are way too expensive to be leaving in the attic. I would definetly acquire the following tools before going to work on the first day: LED headlamp, 1/4" and 5/16" nut drivers, Multimeter with amp clamp, Flathead and phillips head screwdrivers, wirestrippers and snips, electric drill.

Well I got the job! I start Monday. My employer told me as long as it didn't interfere with work and pertained to what I wanted to do, that he would reimburse me for classes taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Ctuck View Post
    Well I got the job! I start Monday. My employer told me as long as it didn't interfere with work and pertained to what I wanted to do, that he would reimburse me for classes taken.
    Congrats, hope it works out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ctuck View Post
    Do you know what colors of thermostat wire are commonly used for? White, red, blue, green, yellow, orange? Might be a good thing to memorize

Quote Originally Posted by WMG View Post
    Do you know what colors of thermostat wire are commonly used for? White, red, blue, green, yellow, orange? Might be a good thing to memorize
    My last private sector employer had techs that wired without any thought to color code. So I would say it is most important to note what colors are connected at one end to be sure that they are connected properly at the other.
    If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

as stated most of the bigger expensive tools the company should supply, my experience with that has been that it is bounced around from tech to tech because there isnt one for everybody, so unless you got a razor sharp memory youll find yourself on a job needed the tool you had yesterday that got took off your truck, or you turned in and forgot today. The worst thing ever standing there going F&%$, I already made contact with customer, started working and now got to call for someone to bring it to you or pack up and go get it. Im buying all my own equipment, from little to big, and yes ive been broke for the last few months and still got alot more to go....

and congrads on the job I remember the excitement when I landed my first legit company!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12