Thread: I don't want to change the reversing valve, I rather change the whole unit first

Post Likes

I don't want to change the reversing valve, I rather change the whole unit first

I have a 5 ton 10 seer goodman heat pump, still running fine. My problem is, now I don't want to use it as a heat pump anymore, so I took the coil wires from reversing valve, and put them right on the compressor contactor coil, by-pass the defrost board. Now the reversing was staying in heat mode last nite, so today I turn it on again, thinking about replacing it, I started up, and the reversing switched, and it is working find all day, cycles and maintain temp. thru out the day. My question is, should I keep power on reversing valve all the time, so I can't take changes hanging up. Buy me time so can price condensing units. This crazy, but it would be nice while it is in cooling mode, I pinch off a pilot tube so it can't go back to heat mode. THX

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by etap View Post
    I have a 5 ton 10 seer goodman heat pump, still running fine. My problem is, now I don't want to use it as a heat pump anymore, so I took the coil wires from reversing valve, and put them right on the compressor contactor coil, by-pass the defrost board. Now the reversing was staying in heat mode last nite, so today I turn it on again, thinking about replacing it, I started up, and the reversing switched, and it is working find all day, cycles and maintain temp. thru out the day. My question is, should I keep power on reversing valve all the time, so I can't take changes hanging up. Buy me time so can price condensing units. This crazy, but it would be nice while it is in cooling mode, I pinch off a pilot tube so it can't go back to heat mode. THX
    Don't pinch off anything, reversing valve could be powered all the. Why don't you want to use it as a heat pump anymore if its still working?

Post Likes
    Have at it dude.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Post Likes
    I'm really not sure why you wouldn't want to use the heat pump. Makes no sense other than you're trying to save wear and tear on compressor. If it's a 10 seer it means it's pretty old. You aren't doing yourself any favors. What pilot tube did you pinch so it wouldn't go into heat? On the gas furnace? It seems it would be easier just not to turn it to heat on thermostat rather than going through all this trouble.
    I like DIY'ers. They pay better to fix.

Post Likes
    Ok It goes like this. When house starts to warm up, I am not sure when I turn cooling on, if it is going to blow cool air or warm air, because the reversing valve sticks in heat mode. I can't keep on taking a chance on it. I didn't pinch the pilot tubes, but I was wondering a way to make it stay in cooling position, than I wouldn't have to change it out. THX

Post Likes
    So the reversing valve is sticking... and your hoping to lock it into cooling mode to get by until you can replace the system.

I will admit, that this is why, although getting competitive bids is a great idea in general, once your in a pinch like this, sometimes you either have to get a referral to a good contractor and go with them, or just fix the unit, roll the dice and wait to replace it next year. If you're wanting a more basic system (13-15 SEER, single stage) most times this equipment is in stock at the supply houses. The premium stuff takes a few weeks to get in.

Post Likes
    pinching a tube will make the valve non functional. DO NOT pinch the tube. it's pressure that pushes the valve into the mode, so pinching the tube will just prevent it from moving under control... it'll just flop around wherever it feels like. both tubes are needed for both heat and cool mode. plus, even if you did successfully get the valve to stay cooling from a pinch, it'd cause the pinched tube to leak most likely.
    valves stick from lack of use, or debris in the system. there is no way short of removing the valve altogether to "lock" it into cool mode... every time the system shuts down, power is lost, and the valve switches to heat mode. if you had it powered all the time, each time the system shut down, the pressures would equalize, and the valve would wander where it felt like anyway...

if it's sticking, it'll stick anyway. powered or not.
    best is to keep it stock, so it can at least swap and keep itself unstuck as designed.
    The TRUE highest cost system is the system not installed properly...

Find a HVAC-Talk Contractor by clicking here

Click below to BECOME a pro member
    https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/forumdispl...ip-Information

Do you go to a boat repairman with a sinking boat, and tell him to put in a bigger motor when he tells you to fix the holes?

I am yourmrfixit

Post Likes
    Sounds like 4 options.

Replace the valve

Get a tech that will remove the valve and braze in a section of copper for cooling mode only

Replace it with an R22 dry unit and wait 5-7 years to replace the whole system.

Replace the whole system now and buy a protable or window unit ot get by for a week or two..

Post Likes
    There is a technique that can be used to make sticking valves work for a short time just to get by for a while. Find a tech that knows the trick. I have had them work for a couple of years already, others only a week, depends on the valve.

Post Likes
    I just wanted to let you all know that I removed the coil and added a speacial magnet to keep the valve open for cooling. I just wanted try this.thx

Post Likes
    i ussally find that there is a underlying problem that causes the rv valve to not work properly

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by etap View Post
    I just wanted to let you all know that I removed the coil and added a speacial magnet to keep the valve open for cooling. I just wanted try this.thx
    I want to know more about this special magnet you used?

Is it a government secret?

Post Likes
    I thought that I would try this. This is solenoid valve operating magnet. You remove electric coil and slide the magnet on the valve stem. I heard the valve click, when I put it on. Part number is SVOM-18 4660507 REFCO company name CH-6285 hitzkirch www.refco.ch
    Let me know if you need pictures. So for it is working, but I want to leave it of for few days than test it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in