Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    500-600# machine? I've never seen a restaurant with anything less than 900#. Still more typical to see a 1300# or a 1600#, or even 2400#, but obviously some restaurants are bigger than others. I'd get the absolute biggest machine you can fit, remote of course.

Hoshizaki is a great ice machine, Manitowoc also a good choice.

Also, just to let you know, I'd say 75% of the time somebody tells me a Hoshi water pump failed, it actually just had a broken piece of the cube guide stuck in the impeller Take it apart, remove debris, and magically it works again! Of course I've seen a few failures too, but not very often.

I service a bunch of Manitowic I have had no major failures and they are easy to clean. Two have died of old age. Probably between 12-14 yrs. of hard service. I could of fixed one with a new txv but chose to send it away for ever, the other to an inefficient compressor. I also service Hoshi. Maybe I have less than five. No failures yet but they are much harder to clean out the mold & yeast. And the hoses need replacing due to fact they are clear and show mold stains. I'd pick a manitowic if cleaning twice a year is important for you.

We have either Manitowoc or Scotsmans for our ice machines, so far most of them have been in service for 10+ years, just had to replace one Scotsmans cause it lost all the nickel plating on the evap coils, so ice wasn't always coming off in harvest, by that was one of the oldest we had in the company it was originally installed in 1990 if I remember correctly what was written on it for install date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hoshi is the way to go for longevity, dependability and production. They harvest much more ice than the others - even with their longer production cycles. My biggest problem with Hoshizaki machines is cleaning them!

If a remote condenser is in mind, I'm not aware of Hoshi moving the compressor up onto the roof. That and cleaning them would be the only detrimental determining factors.

Manitowoc & Scotsman are far easier to clean (which gives ME "peace of mind" when their cubes end up in my drink) and have models putting all the noisemaking stuff up on the roof, so their "head units" which actually makes the ice are whisper quiet - at least until the ice falls.

Maybe some things to consider.

What??? No votes for Ice O Matic???
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

another vote for the Hoshizaki, i truly hate scottsman ice machines and manitowocs just don't last as long around here.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    What??? No votes for Ice O Matic???
    What ever happened to the guy that said they were gonna put mani out of business
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Hoshi is the way to go. If you have 208/230v available, I would go with the 900 for a restaurant. Its a good size and it is a full 30" wide.

I wouldn't push an Ice-O-Matic if I was paid to.
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

Awww, c'mon guys. Ice O Matic took 2 successful designs from their competition, made modifications, and made a clusterf$#@ of them both.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Awww, c'mon guys. Ice O Matic took 2 successful designs from their competition, made modifications, and made a clusterf$#@ of them both.
    They didn’t take the Mani design they hired the designer! What was the 2nd one? I only remember the plastic fingers that would break.

The GC series was similar to the Hoshi and a catastrophic failure. Warped evaps and bad txv's a plenty

Quote Originally Posted by squish View Post
    clearly no one here has ever worked on a hosi****ty, save yourself the headache, scotsman prodigy CO630.
    You're a Scotsman rep ain'tcha?

Back in the day we called the Ice-o-matic the Copytowoc. I hate to say, but I sold them back in the early 80's until the evaps started going and 30% of the machines were leakers right out of the box.

Started selling Hoshi's, and never looked back.
    Experience is what you have an hour after you need it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast