Bosch Greenstar 100 vs Buderus GB142/30

Hey folks,

I'm getting my natural gas boiler replaced. I've gotten 2 quotes and both contractors have great reputations. One uses the Bosch Greenstar 100 and the other uses Buderus GB142/30. Both say they don't switch brands around, i.e. that's what they use, period.

I know (or at least think) Bosch bought Buderus, but in the end, how do these particular models compare? The quote for the Buderus one was $1,200 higher and that seems to match the price difference I found of the units themselves, so labor is about the same. Is the Buderus one much better than the Bosch one or are they both great?

Thanks

Alternatively, even if you're not familiar with both models, but have experience with one of them, please feel free to post your thoughts on just that one model. Thanks a lot!

I have experience with both. The buderus is definitely what I would buy, both contractors being equal.

Sent from my iPad

Thanks! What would be the reason why? Is it reliability, efficiency, quality...? So, it's worth the extra $1,200? Thanks again!

The gb142 has been in production for over 20 years. The greenstar is new.

The buderus has better fit and finish, the internals are much better.

The controls on the Bosch are very complex, easier to screw up.

AFUE is the same. The Bosch has a higher turndown ratio of about 4:1 vs. abotu 3.3:1 for the Bundrus. The Bosch is only 100k BTU. How large of a boiler do you need? If you only need 100k, a 142 will be short cycling on a lot of cooler days. Was the Bosch quoted a combi? or jsut space heating version? If a combi, maybe they are oversizing the Budrus for the indirect tank. The same size and spec unit might be a similar price. IT takes a pretty big house to need 142k BTU's.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    AFUE is the same. The Bosch has a higher turndown ratio of about 4:1 vs. abotu 3.3:1 for the Bundrus. The Bosch is only 100k BTU. How large of a boiler do you need? If you only need 100k, a 142 will be short cycling on a lot of cooler days. Was the Bosch quoted a combi? or jsut space heating version? If a combi, maybe they are oversizing the Budrus for the indirect tank. The same size and spec unit might be a similar price. IT takes a pretty big house to need 142k BTU's.
    142 is not the BTU rating. It is available in 4 models down to 82,000 btu input based on load calculation.

The model he posted is 102,000 btu.

Sorry, my mistake. I missed that in my quick review of the specs.

The turndown shouldn't be all that important if it's sized and installed correctly with the correct flow rates, etc.

Yeah, both said I need about 100 btu. My current one is a burnham with 140k btu at 84% efficient with a standard hot water heater. It's directly in the middle of my basement, so part of the reason to do this is to move it to a corner so that I can finish the basement off. Putting in an indirect hot water heater with it. Both contractors use the HTP SSU-45. Thanks

the Bosch Greenstar has at least a couple of decades of use in England - is new only to the U.S. in the past year. I installed a Greenstar 57 (3 zones heating, indirect DHW) a half year ago and recommend them: easy to install, good support, good training (in N.H.) and as-advertised performance. The Buderus GBs are very good, also. It's a tough call between them. My sole complaint about the Greenstar's set-up and documentation for the indirect DHW: it's unclear if the FW200 or the Heatronic has authority on set point. I've heard both from the Bosch support.

my niece just aske if there is a large jacuzzi and not-so-efficient tub heads in the shower...
    ? What about just an 80 gal hi eff tank? large home.

I have a customer of 4 in the fam, unhappy with a 135,000 and I added a tank and spin off bronze circulation pump flow to get the tank to 90 degrees for a 130- 125 delivery from the instant now.

say net 120, when dirty inside the instant HX coil, div by 500 (constant of water) div by wanted 70-deg rise to 122 minimum on 52 deg well water... yields continuous flow of under 3.4GPM...
    ... however, much work still needs to be done.
    CLOSED LOOP newer ratings are listed, but in numerical EER's Closed- is posted below OPEN LOOP EER's:

http://www.energystar.gov/productfin...r=0&lastpage=1