I have a homeowner with a problem when burning his fireplaces with the doors open. The fireplace does not smoke at the opening, but odors are being drawn in at the conditioned attic. The house is tight, although no blower door test done.
Some of the odors are smoke related, but the smoke alarms do not go off. Some of the odors are sewer gas. The appear about an hour after the fireplace is used.
I advised the homeowner to open a window when burning the fireplace to see if this eliminates the smells. Assuming it does, is there anything other than opening a window that will work?