Thread: Lonewolf85

Confused Lonewolf85

Lightning struck my outside unit and got my compressor, I had a Rheem 4 ton air handler and condenser , I replaced the outside condenser with a payne 4 ton, the air handler has a 82 piston size and the payne condenser has a 73 piston , air handler has a spud metering device and condenser calls for a txv inside and 73 piston outdoor unit. my pressure reads 53 on suction and 160 on high side at 70 degrees, symptoms suction low and freezing over. can the piston size be changed on air handler to 73 to match the outside and make this work or is the only way to make it work to add txv in line on the inside air handler coil? Thanks for any advice on this matter

DIY alert! Call a pro! Get it done right the first time and save big bucks. Now you have a mess on your hands that wont work because its installed wrong and will never work right untill a pro fixes it.

BTW. Don't call a craigs list pro because they really arent.
    I am the "Wally". All others are meer imitations of the original.

hey wally !!, I'm a wally too !!
    Let's give nukes a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by lonewolf85 View Post
    Lightning struck my outside unit and got my compressor, I had a Rheem 4 ton air handler and condenser, I replaced the outside condenser with a payne 4 ton, the air handler has a 82 piston size and the payne condenser has a 73 piston, air handler has a spud metering device and condenser calls for a txv inside and 73 piston outdoor unit.

my pressure reads 53 on suction and 160 on high side at 70 degrees, symptoms suction low and freezing over.
    can the piston size be changed on air handler to 73 to match the outside and make this work or, is the only way to make it work is to add TXV in line on the inside air handler coil? Thanks for any advice on this matter
    When the condenser was replaced the 73 piston that came with it,should have been installed as the metering device for the evaporator.

Was that 70F outdoors or indoors (specify both); need both temps, plus indoor humidity for estimating pressures.

Power should be cut to air handler & blower wheel checked for lint buildup; if buildup on blades, then indoor coil needs cleaning, too...
    Many indoor coils, even when clean, don't have the required amount of airflow through them

This is work for a licensed service person...

Quote Originally Posted by udarrell View Post
    When the condenser was replaced the 73 piston that came with it,should have been installed as the metering device for the evaporator.

Was that 70F outdoors or indoors (specify both); need both temps, plus indoor humidity for estimating pressures.

Power should be cut to air handler & blower wheel checked for lint buildup; if buildup on blades, then indoor coil needs cleaning, too...
    Many indoor coils, even when clean, don't have the required amount of airflow through them

This is work for a licensed service person...
    I believe the 73 piston the outdoor unit has is for the outdoor unit in heating mode.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Should not have been soooooo cheap. Txv, not so much dinero. Are you using the same refrigerant as before? R22? At this point, since we can't help with the DIY (are you EPA/Refrigerant certified?), your best bet is to enlist the services of a licensed HVAC person and go from there.
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Quote Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
    I believe the 73 piston the outdoor unit has is for the outdoor unit in heating mode.
    You are probably right, beenthere...I have not checked on that...

Thanks to all that responded, I fully understand that I should not be so cheap and pay the price for the Licensed hvac man to do the work < but since I'm limited to a budget that does not give the option to pay the professional to come in and do the work for me I'm stuck with what I have . Since I have always helped others outside of their professions I thought maybe someone here would be able to help me with my change out. Thanks to all for the responses and God Bless..

Wally with all due respect if you are the pro you say you are then you would have some advice to help the do it yourself amateur other than telling them to hire the pro. With todays economy being what it is we are finding ourselfs having to do more than ever before, and maybe I do have a mess on my hands but if I could have afforded to pay the pro I would have . The estimates that I got for the job was so far out of budget that I had no choice but to attempt to do it myself . If I do figure this out on my own I will post my results . Thanks Wally01 for the advice that I could expect from someone that only cares about the $$$$. If I'm wrong then show me by helping since you are the pro.

If I'm wrong then show me by helping since you are the pro.
    That would be a violation of our no DIY rules.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?