Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Favorite programmable controller

Lets hear what your favorite BACnet or Lon controller is.

Quote Originally Posted by chadtech View Post
    Lets hear what your favorite BACnet or Lon controller is.
    First would be Can2Go then JACE
    "It's not that I'm smart, it's that I stay with the problem longer”
    Albert Einstein

First choice for Lonworks would be Distech gfx. For BACnet, it would be Distech gfx.

First choice Distech gfx for BACnet MSTP and Lonworks. EasyIO for Sedona and BACnet IP. Second choice Automated Logic and Siemens PPCL. Third KMC and Reliable Controls.

Lets see,

I am slightly biased towards products you can get without being a "licensed dealer or distributor",
    and those that are easy to have my end user clients learn. With that in mind here is a kinda sorta list, and
    if you brand is not on the list it is not because I dislike your product; I just like my clients to be in charge of their own choices
    (most of my clients are end users, and controls & mechanical contractors)

Viconics - Easy to buy, install, and integrate into others systems, and yes they do have some issues, not the cheapest either

Carrier's new i-Vu Open controllers - no dealership required, get some training, and software is reasonably
    priced, extremely easy to install - easy to integrate to other systems (made by ALC so I know first hand the quality
    and brains behind the products, I still like ALC, but it can be politically interesting to get product or software if you are not
    one of their dealers)

Easy I/O - nice product mix - Sedona platform (love the gui programming - access to bad ass graphics like most Tridium blends
    (like my website, their website needs some work - but I expect they will be upgrading that shortly)

Temco - dirt cheap, but great to use for training or bench testing, and believe it or not, they are installed almost every where
    under other oem'ed brand names (it is MODBUS, but modbus is easy to learn and use, and they are working on BACnet)

Many others like Computrols, but they loose it on their dated line programming (sorry guys, but I refuse to teach that to my clients anymore)
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit" Aristotle

Remember to "Pay it Forward"; help out the newer generation of techs, remember someone during our career helped us! ("Pay it Forward" was by someone smarter than me!!)

Computrols! Good ole louisianna proggie!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

One I didn't program, then it's someone else's problem.

For ones I've worked with so far I like the TAC Xenta 700 series the most (LON), but I don't like the proprietary software/licensing.
    BACNet I don't have enough experience with actual programming, I mainly just integrate. TAC is 'clumsy' when it comes to BACNet, as one needs a Xenta 913 to interface and then one can import that 913 into a PLC and manipulate as needed.

In messing around with the Loytec stuff I think I'll like their 150 series a lot, just need to spend more time messing with the programming logic.
    "How it can be considered "Open" is beyond me. Calling it "voyeur-ed" would be more accurate." pka LeroyMac, SkyIsBlue, fka Freddy-B, Mongo, IndyBlue
    BIG Government = More Dependents
    "Any 'standard' would be great if it didn't get bastardised by corporate self interest." MatrixTransform
    http://threedevilskennel.com/ - not my website.
    Versatile Hunting Dog Federation - www.vhdf.org/

Right now, all I ever wanna program are these.

I guess I'm going to have to get my hands on Easy IO. Seems like the favorite so far...
    "It's not that I'm smart, it's that I stay with the problem longer”
    Albert Einstein

Gee, I wonder how come no one mentioned the Spyder yet...

Its closest cousin I cannot complain about. In fact it would be one of my favorites.

Trend Ecos

They don't share any part of the programming though....
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

BACnet - Delta DSCxxxx-E series , ALC ME-812u-LGR & Reliable Controls MACH-ProWebSys. All have Ethernet and multiple RS-485 communication busses/subnets, can also communicate MODbus and are 100% programmable. The EasyIO looks very promissing, need to look into it some more.

LON - Don't have one as I don't have any experience in programming LON devices.

kontrol out
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Open protocols? You can't handle open protocols!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

Quote Originally Posted by xarralu View Post
    I guess I'm going to have to get my hands on Easy IO. Seems like the favorite so far...
    Actually what I get out of this thread, and what I have gathered in real life talking with various guys I've dealt with in the field goes about like this:

1. If it's a person who actually knows how things work; with significant SUCCESSFUL experience in actually engineering, configuring, programming, installing, and commissioning systems. This person seems to favor the line of controls with which he or she is most proficient and efficient, knows best, and can SHINE in the eyes of his/her co-workers and customers with.

2. If its someone with ... less experience and proficiency ... it seems this type always thinks the solution to all his or her problems, angst, and inability to be better at what they do than they are ... is the next "best thing/ latest technology". Or ... that line of controllers the "other guy" gets to work with.

3. If we're talking about customers ... its usually whatever they've had experience with which worked as advertised and expected, was well engineered and installed, and where the contractor did a good job and provides good continuing service.

Just my thoughts on the matter.
    A site where I stash some stuff that might be interesting to some folks.
    http://cid-0554c074ec47c396.office.l...e.aspx/.Public

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast