Question Possible To Move Gas Furnace & Water Tank To Different Location?

Hi,

I'm in the process of purchasing a home, and for some reason in the unfinished basement the gas furnace / flue (within cinder block) and water tank are in the middle of the basement.

Is it possible to relocate the gas furnace / flue (within cinder block) and water tank to a corner location of the basement this way the floor plan is much more open?

Thank you!

sure all is possible
    are you willing to purchace new high efficency / condensing direct vent appliances ?
    if so its a matter of re-ducting and repiping over to the desired local and venting them through a side wall

Yes it can be done without many issues. Did it in my own home.
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

What exactly are "high efficiency / condesing direct vent appliances"?

So I would be able to knock down the existing cinder block flue that runs up to the roof and I would need to move it to a different location?

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by olimits7 View Post
    What exactly are "high efficiency / condesing direct vent appliances"?

So I would be able to knock down the existing cinder block flue that runs up to the roof and I would need to move it to a different location?

Thank you!
    High efficiency equipment uses PVC piping for venting. You do not have to go up through the roof with it so there are many more options for venting locations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

today's high effiiciency appliances are direct vented through the side wall of the structure with PVC pipe and there four eliminate the old stack / chimney the flue gases / product of combustion exits at a much lower temp. The condencing happens generally in the secondary heat exchanger of a furnace thus raising the ratio of heat gain to fuel consumed lessoning the waseted heat that would have gone up the chimney

Ok, that's great to hear!

So most likely a contractor can just tear down the existing cinder block flue? I'm guessing this isn't load bearing at all; right?

Thanks, again!

I cant truely answer that though it should only be supporting itself. Though id likely have a mason or builder do that job anyhow as they would shore things up after the demo anyhow

The entire chimney will have to be removed, not just the part in basement. It must be removed from top down. DO not break blocks out at the bottom only. I was just on a job where they tried that. the whole chimney came crashing down through the house into the basement. fortunitly they heard it starting to move and were able to get out of the house before anyone was injured.
    I am the "Wally". All others are meer imitations of the original.