Heat pump vs propane?

Which is cheaper to operate?

I am in sacramento ca. It freezes here sometimes but rarely and the summer is pretty warm but we get a nice breeze off of the delta so it normally cools down good at night. I built the house last year its has r-38 in the ceiling and r-19 in the walls and the roof sheating is radiant barrier type. If it cools down at night we do not need to use the AC. This year we had the record # of days over 100 degrees, and it did not cool down at night so we had to use the AC for a week strait. We have a Trane 14 seer unit and my electrical bill went from $80 to $130. Many people I talked to had $500 electrical bills and their AC units would not even keep up. We were maxing out our unit pretty good, but it kept us comfortable.

Now in the winter I have an 80% efficent propane heater and my bills are about $300 a month in propane (100-150gallons). My neighbors house (heat pump) is smaller but her electrical bills have never been over $140. It just seems to me that there is no way a heat pump would cost $250 (assuming $50 goes to water heaters)a month but wanted to ask the experts here.

What's your cost per kwh of juice and gallon of LP?

$300.00/month? My first suggestion would be to have somebody come in and do a leak check. Doing rough math, assuming a furnace sized at 60,000 btu/hr, your furnace would have to be running for aproximately 7 hours/day (roughly 20 minutes/hour) to burn 150 gallons in a month. Does this sound right for your area? (sounds right for around here in the great white north where we are at -30 in the winter)
    Last edited by johnl; 02-16-2007 at 10:35 PM.

We are paying $1.98 a gallon. electricity is about $.15. I don't think there is a leak, during the summer we hardly use any. It is a 5 ton unit for a 3000 sq ft house. We did have a lot of freezing here, but It didn't get much below 30 degrees F. It has been a lot warmer since. The propane guy showed me the list of other homes and my consumption was in line with them. We do take long showers. My water heaters are inthe attic so in the summer they are allready warmed up to 100 degrees.
    Last edited by my65ffrcobra; 02-17-2007 at 12:21 AM. Reason: extra info

If you are paying less that .09/kwh it would definitely be beneficial to look at a heat pump.
    for rough calculations 1 gallon of propane=92,000 btu's and is equal to roughly 19kw.

Quote Originally Posted by my65ffrcobra View Post
    We are paying $1.98 a gallon. electricity is about $.15. I don't think there is a leak, during the summer we hardly use any. It is a 5 ton unit for a 3000 sq ft house. We did have a lot of freezing here, but It didn't get much below 30 degrees F. It has been a lot warmer since. The propane guy showed me the list of other homes and my consumption was in line with them. We do take long showers. My water heaters are inthe attic so in the summer they are allready warmed up to 100 degrees.
    What are they in the winter. LOL

Original post:

Your 100 gals of propane produce 7360 Mbtu's of heat.
    A decent 4 ton heat pump will produce (at 30 degrees) ~ 41 Mbtu's/hour

so 7360/41 = 180 hours @ 3.33kw/hour = 599 kwh.

at .15/kwh, heat pump costs would be ~$90.

Odds are her air handler is ~ 1/4hp larger as well, that works out to 180*.14*.15 = an extra $4~$8 dollars a month.

So figure her heating costs at $100/mo. vs. your $200. That seems to match up with what you're reporting.

Gah, necro post! Sorry about that...