New Carrier Infinity Touch Control 8.0 - Does anyone know about it?

I have been told the new Carrier Infinity Touch Control 8.0 allows for one zone in a system to be much smaller than others. Up until now, I have been told this was not possible with any existing Carrier system due to risks of the coil freezing when only the small zone is calling for cooling.

I am currently planning to go with the new Lennox icomfort zoning system and the new XC25 variable compressor which seems to be the best solution for this kind of application.

Upon telling this to the Carrier dealer, they suddenly had this "brand new to the market solution" from Carrier. I asked them how this was possible and they are not willing to explain. Here was their response:

The intellectual property that regulates the mechanics of how the system prevents the coil from freezing is proprietary to Carrier and that information is not shared with the field. From a process prospective the new control monitors CFM produced by reading the static pressure. It measures that value against the temperature of the coil based on refrigerant pressures using the T and P chart values, refrigerant flow and air temperature in the duct system. The data is used to regulate demand on the outside unit to balanced against the freezing of the indoor coil. This system has been in field testing for the last several years which is typical for Carrier. They will not release the product until it has performed satisfactorily in a wide variety of conditions. Their interest in constantly pushing the envelope to improve/expand the capabilities of their existing products as well as develop new ones is what has allowed them to maintain their leadership position in the industry for the last 7 years.

Any thoughts? I thought that since the compressor only has two stages, there is still a risk?

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 04-28-2013 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Non AOP Pro Member

temperaturetech

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

I don't think the logic is all that new. If the max airflow to the smallest zone exceeds the equipment minimum, it if elk begin to open the dampers first to unoccupied or setback zones, then to the other zones a needed. A good design makes sure when possible that ductwork to the smallest zone equals the minimum airflow. Infinity looks at temp & humidity indoors and outdoor temp to determine what airflow to use.

Infinity will drop to about 175 cfm/ton on 1st stage if needed. I don't see hours any other system wound manage a small zone better. Ultimately, you need to design the ductwork properly for zoning. I think one rule is to oversize all ductwork by at least 25%

The only change on the new touch control is his you seems airflow I believe. But it operates the same as before.

Sent from my SGPT12 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry for the typos.

Hers's a good read on Infinity Zoning and design. http://www.docs.hvacpartners.com/idc.../zone-01dg.pdf Again, ductwork desing in some ways is even more critical on zoning system than without. You would intuitively think otherwise since a modulating zone system is essentially self balancing. But undersized ductwork will hurt it badly and ultimately it will either be noisy try to force enough air to the zone, or will have issues with minimum airflow.

Zoning DOES NOT FIX A BAD DUCTWORK DESIGN. It will help correct temprature imbalances caused by it, but you can only stuff some much air through a given duct size before it becomes noisy or you hit max pressure. Further, zoning will also magnify oversized equipment. You cannot oversize with zoning and expect to have good results. IF anything you can actually underszize slightly. With zoning, if you are marginal on size, always go err to the low side, never round up. Especaially if you normally have unocciupied zones during common recovery periods or during times of peak demand (late afternoon and early evening in cooling and early morning in heating). Smart setback strategies can allow you to get by with slightly undersized equipment. Keeping in mind that Manual J adds some safety margin in sizing.

The purpose of zoning is to manage seasonal and daily diversity between zones and allow unique comfort temperatures and setback strategies for each space including keeping some zones unoccupied most of the time.