R410 system stolen lineset

I recently bought a house on foreclosure. The air conditioner line set was stolen before we purchased the home and it has sat for over a year. One contractor gave me a price to replace the lineset, but another contractor told me that since the R410 unit has been exposed to the air it could have moisture in it and that I need to replace the whole unit. He said that if I have the lineset repaired the unit may work, but it will cause damage to the unit and it won't last very long. Wanted some advice on which one to believe.

Thanks!

If the system was open to the atmosphere, you may as well replace the entire thing since the POE oil in a 410A system absorbs moisture like a sponge...
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Is there a way to save the system? Does the coil need to be changed too?

The contractor that told you to replace the entire unit is the right one. Since the unit sat open to atmosphere it is contaminated with moisture. I'm sure putting a new line set in would work but the system has been damaged and would have no warranty whatsoever. Your money well spent is to go ahead and do it the right way and replace the outside condenser coil, indoor a-coil, and new line set to assure a long lasting system

Several years ago. I went to a no cooling call. The line set had a hole in it from a roofing nail/staple(ventilated attic).The guy said it had stopped working in early spring right after the new roof. Which at that time placed it 6 months before hand. I cut out the section with a hole and coupled it back together. Installed new liquid line filter drier. Vacuumed it and recharged it. Changed out LLFD a week later. And its still working to this day.

OP, you have a 50/50 chance that you won't have a problem with the condenser. If the compressor does go out. Then a new compressor or condenser at that time.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?