Magic Chef R22 A-Coil Help!!

I'm tying in a condenser to an existing magic chef furnace and a-coil. The A-coil m# ya604pt. I can't find any documents on the coil and I need to know if it needs a txv or if there's some type of expansion device inside. There's a distributer inside and I can't tell if it's a fixed orfice. I took a picture of it so any help would be awesome. Thanks. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367075900.769334.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  34.7 KB
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin

A Magic Chef coil is at least 20 years old, likely more. Pretty sad to try to reuse it with a new unit. Chances are a cap tube meter. Match the coil and get away from R22.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

The coils brand new, when the customer built the house 20yrs ago they installed the furnace with the a coil but never tied in the ac till now.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin

Tying a new condenser to that Ancient Evaporator coil with a CapTube as the metering
    device could work but why?

You are rollin the dice and the odds aren't in your favor, Take a Look at aspen coils, they make some nice aftermarket replacement coils that fit a lot of applications and switch over to R438A,if you don't want to go with 410

that is.

No piston in there, just them lil cap tubes.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

So it's not going to require a txv?

Quote Originally Posted by alliedtech12887 View Post
    So it's not going to require a txv?
    That would probably depend to a certain extent on the condenser.

Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    That would probably depend to a certain extent on the condenser.
    cannot put a TXV on that coil
    Replace with a modern coil or you're asking for trouble

For about twice the cost of the R22 it will take to fill a dry unit, you can buy a new coil. Then your new 410 unit will work great, be efficient and last.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Your coil is not rated to perform with any new condenser. If you hook it up to an unmatched condenser, you're on your own as to how well or how long it will "work". That said, many of us "field engineer" systems from time to time and see good results.

You and your customer would be better served by the advice given so far, but if you really want to experiment...

You can expect that a similar sized modern coil would be rated at least a half ton less, maybe more. I suggest you treat the old coil as 4 tons max, and replace the strainer/dryer capillary tube assembly with a TXV, distributor and all new (larger) distributor tubes. Don't use tubes originally designed as a metering device to distribute the refrigerant from a TXV.

Hopefully you'll agree that modifying the old coil is not worth the effort. Again, you and your customer would be better served by a matched system.

"If perfection is your goal, you may end up with good enough, what might you end up with when good enough is your goal?"
    Wayne Pendergast, efficientcomfort.net

Thanks for all the feed back, I'm going to sell the customer on installing a new 410a a-coil and matching condenser.