Mini Splits EEVs and Refrigerant Charge

Greetings:

I'm currently evaluating quotes for a multi-unit mini-split install on my older New England home. I am trying to educate myself about the particulars of the install and have a question for this board's experts.

One set of quotes involves different LG mini split models. Examining the installation instructions I noticed that the older less efficient models all specify that you either weigh in or recover some of the pre-charged coolant based upon the actual length of the refrigerant line sets. The newer more efficient models only tell you to verify that the gas side pressure is between a particular range (120-135 psig). The newer units all use an EEV and the older ones don't.

Is it, in fact, the case that units with an EEV can maintain efficiency with a wider range of refrigerant charges or is there some other reason why certain units don't ask that you precisely adjust the charge based upon line set length?

Many Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by andrewnewman View Post
    Is it, in fact, the case that units with an EEV can maintain efficiency with a wider range of refrigerant charges
    Yes.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Thanks. As the homeowner, I'm just trying to educate myself sufficiently to have an intelligent conversation with the HVAC/R guys and assure that I understand enough about what they are proposing to assure that I am getting a quality job for my money. Not trying to be a PIA (at least not with out cause).

The LG install manuals are pretty informal (no mention of a micron gauge, no indication of how to open the EEV during leak test and/or charging etc...). The guys who are proposing the LG unit(s) claim that the electrician will show up a day or two after they are done to do the electrical hookup. Is it possible to fully install these w/o any power to the unit? Does this make sense?

-Thanks

Have you looked into the Daikin or Mitsubishi products?
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Have you looked into the Daikin or Mitsubishi products?
    I didn't start with a brand preference but tried to find contractors locally with good reputations. Two of them seem coincidentally to sell LG equipment. I can certainly find a local Mitsu or Daikin dealer but haven't thus far looked at their products.