Extract data from Microsoft Excel spreadsheet into Niagara Ax?

I have a potential customer who has an online software scheduling system that does the scheduling of office, rooms, gym, etc and is managed online. They want to conect this online scheduling system to the Jace so they don't need to double the entry of scheding rooms to control the HVAC. I contacted the vendor and they also host the database. With the permission of the customer the Jace can have access to the spreadsheet through an IP. Has anyone parsed a spreadsheet before? I can't find any documentation on the possible process. I'd like to extract time and occupancy status of a room.

Quote Originally Posted by XRRIDER View Post
    I have a potential customer who has an online software scheduling system that does the scheduling of office, rooms, gym, etc and is managed online. They want to conect this online scheduling system to the Jace so they don't need to double the entry of scheding rooms to control the HVAC. I contacted the vendor and they also host the database. With the permission of the customer the Jace can have access to the spreadsheet through an IP. Has anyone parsed a spreadsheet before? I can't find any documentation on the possible process. I'd like to extract time and occupancy status of a room.
    That's gonna be a tough one. It's possible though. I know that you can parse a modbus registry and automatically create points and it's the same process with an excel spreadsheet and all.

Quote Originally Posted by ControlY0urMind View Post
    That's gonna be a tough one. It's possible though. I know that you can parse a modbus registry and automatically create points and it's the same process with an excel spreadsheet and all.
    Would you have a direction on that? I need to start somewhere. Competitor said it can't be done so if I can it means a large install for me.

I found several examples of Excel to OPC server software by doing a Google search. Perhaps you could get the vendor or custy to run one, and import the data into the Jace via OPC?

Are you familiar with soap and xml pipe feeds?

Seems like you could aim a custom excel based soap / xml data pipe feed at the clients web based schedule xml objects,
    (if they can be, or are already xml tagged) then your custom soap excel file could retransmit the client's
    schedules over into the jace using bacnet xml writes.
    Not sure Jace supports this technique fully, but could be worth a try.
    Just do one simple schedule object first, and if that works, you are good to go on all of them.

Kinda of sorta like bringing in weather data from noaa.

Anyway, good luck as this request from clients has been growing in popularity.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit" Aristotle

Remember to "Pay it Forward"; help out the newer generation of techs, remember someone during our career helped us! ("Pay it Forward" was by someone smarter than me!!)

Quote Originally Posted by XRRIDER View Post
    ... Has anyone parsed a spreadsheet before? I can't find any documentation on the possible process. I'd like to extract time and occupancy status of a room.
    1 The Excel file probably queries a backend database of some sort ... so quite likely that one the AX database drivers will work.
    2 If not, have the Excel file save a copy itself as CSV file every time it changes ... then open the csv file and Parse for info.
    3 write an agent on the supervisor side to get the excel file and have it save as csv at your end ...then open and parse for info
    4 yes AX will also open an XML file and comes complete with everything needed to get XML data.
    1 + 1 = 3 ( *** for very large values of 1)

...everybody wants a box of chocolates and long stemmed rose

Thanks, I download the Test Module. I update as I progress.