Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Likes

Jace licensing brand change?

How hard is it to change the brand license access to a jace. These were removed from a job and still in good condition. Replaced the controllers with another front end. Can they be easily licensed to allow another software program to access it if we wanted to sell them or re-use them? Jene-PC-1000 with Trane brand license.

Thanks.

Post Likes
    I have had zero luck with that. Not sure if its just the brands I wanted to switch it to not wanting to deal with it, or if they cannot dink with a license on a jace that is not theirs.

I wouldn't hold my breath on it.
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes
    I know of someone that says he can get any license changed, it just depends how high up the tridium support ladder you go. I have added a Schneider Electric license to a Honeywell Jace.
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

Post Likes
    As others mention, it's all about how high up the ladder you want to go with Tridium. If it's for reselling JACEs, you're likely to get nowhere. License change accommodations are typically done for the intentions of helping an end-user that paid for their JACE, rather than to re-use units that were acquired through a site take over or change out.

Tridium would rather sell new hardware in this case...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by scrooloose View Post
    How hard is it to change the brand license access to a jace. These were removed from a job and still in good condition. Replaced the controllers with another front end. Can they be easily licensed to allow another software program to access it if we wanted to sell them or re-use them? Jene-PC-1000 with Trane brand license.

Thanks.
    For what you want to do, I would be amazed if they did relicense it.
    However, we have, in the past got Jaces and supervisors relicensed.
    This was because they were a brand that we do not support. The process required the client/owner writing an official letter to Honeywell (this was who we were changing them to) saying that they wanted this done.
    Honeywell were then able to transfer the original license to the Honeywell brand. From there they can then add features and upgrades.
    Note however that the actual license brand remains the same. Its just that Honeywell can now access the license on the server to modify it.

Post Likes
    I don't quite understand this, maybe that is because I'm missing something. Someone mentioned that a JACE was branded with a brand they don't support. If the JACE has an open license, who cares what it is branded as? Now, I have run in to JACEs with locked down Honeywell and Schneider licenses. In those cases, I had to convince someone I knew at a Schneider or Honeywell dealer to sell me an open license.

If the JACE has an open license, regardless of brand, I have been able to add and transfer drivers to it. I know if the past I have won work over a competitor who could not get AX upgrades on JACEs with open licenses.

7. Likes bigguy158 liked this post
    Post Likes
    Some drivers do a brand check and will only run on XYZ brand jace. Getting any features added to the license typically requires going back to the original brand. For the most part if the wb.in/out and station.in/out are open your good 2 go. If you need to add a licensed driver, or upgrade the AX version, then your typically screwed with a 3rd party jace. At least the vendors we deal with seem to rather sell more hardware then mess about with going up the chain of command to get control of the license on a Jace they didn't sell.

Post Likes
    Tridium obviously works differently in America than it does in the UK then. Here features and upgrades can only be added to licenses by the brand "owner" so Honeywell can modify anyone elese licenses. If the license is open you can use any brand of Niagara to service/commission but features can only be added by the correct OEM.

Post Likes
    Edit.

Should say Honeywell can't modify

Post Likes
    That exactly how it works here. Unless you apparently have a tbox vendor that will take a customer letter and run it up the flag pole, any license changes need to come from the original brand. I have not had luck with opening one up from a third party, even with a customer willing to write a letter. I have had some 3rd party brands sell me license changes.

Post Likes
    I'm really surprised that it is such an issue to add features to supposedly open devices for your shops. I never have any issue going through my Distech dealer. They have been able to add licenses to any brand. I even had them transfer a license for a Honeywell server from one PC to another and upgrade it to 3.8.

Post Likes
    Well it sounds like its nothing more than bastard vendors that want to make a hardware sale rather than deal with it. I think the last on I checked on was a TAC licensed jace we tried to open via the HW channel. They said no can do, happy to sell you a replacement though...

Sounds like I should be calling my distech friends next time I need a license change...

Post Likes
    I would defiantly recommend getting a hold of someone who can go through Distech. It usually takes a little longer to get a license change on non Distech JACEs, but I usually have the updated license in 24 hours. If anyone needs a connection for that, I recommend giving Mike over at Specified Controls a call. I usually run all that stuff though him.

https://specifiedcontrols.com/contact

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast