+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: X13 motor constant run!

Post Likes

X13 motor constant run!

X13 motor constant run with no fan control energized.

Post Likes
    Is it getting 24v?

Post Likes
    Measured voltage from speed tap wire(24v) to common is 0! But when wire is connected to any tap 1-5 the fan starts immediately.

All this is occurring with NO 24v signal to fan control(green wire) thermostat was removed

Post Likes
    It doesn't run with the speed tap wire off but does with it on? I'd say check your meter because it sounds like there is 24v getting to the speed tap.

Post Likes
    Just because the stat is off the wall doesn't mean there isn't a 24 volt signal to "G". I would check it again.

Whats the model and serial of your equipment?

I've replace a TON of X13 motors on 2010/2011 Carrier systems. I've seen them do weird things but never seen one stuck on, but anythings possible. They normally fail due to moisture or excess duct static.

Post Likes
    The issue is that the motor runs constantly. Won't turn off! Even with the thermostat removed from the wall. So I'm getting no signal for fan to the board.
    No voltage reading on the 24v lines to motor. Only way the motor shuts off is when I pull the tap wire from the motor.
    Either this motor is back feeding voltage or the board is bad.

Post Likes
    If it wasn't getting 24v it wouldn't matter if the tap wire was on or off. If the board is sending 24v when it shouldn't then its probably the board.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CFLHVAC View Post
    The issue is that the motor runs constantly. Won't turn off! Even with the thermostat removed from the wall. So I'm getting no signal for fan to the board.
    No voltage reading on the 24v lines to motor. Only way the motor shuts off is when I pull the tap wire from the motor.
    Either this motor is back feeding voltage or the board is bad.
    JTrammel is right. From what you're describing, the speed wire has voltage on it all the time. You need to start there @ the speed tap and check ALL voltages then work your way back to find the issue.

And like I said above; Just because the stat is removed from wall does not mean you won't have a 24 volt signal to "G".

Post Likes
    That's my point, the motor shouldn't run because I'm NOT getting 24v to the motor. But it runs constant when connected.

Post Likes
    Did you check voltage at the speed tap to common with the wire disconnected to see if somehow there is 24v coming out of motor? I don't see anyway this could happen but electricity is strange sometimes. I would say the motor module has gone crazy if it ran whether the speed tap wire was on or off but if it stops when the wire is disconnected then its got to be getting a signal and completing the circuit when the wire is connected.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by CFLHVAC View Post
    That's my point, the motor shouldn't run because I'm NOT getting 24v to the motor. But it runs constant when connected.
    So with the line voltage and low voltage speed taps connected the motor runs constantly but if you pull the speed tap and leave the line voltage connected it turns off?

So by pulling the wire that tells it to run it turns off but you don't think anything is telling it to run?

If the above is accurate then the speed tap is telling the motor to run. How are you checking voltage, one lead on speed tap and the other on the common wire next to line voltage in VAC mode? There are some resi units using a single speed wire but it's sending VDC not VAC.

What's the model number of the unit?

I know you're frustrated with all the voltage questions but just stick it out and everybody will help you solve this problem. More info you provide the better, especially model number, then we can look at the wiring diagram with you.

Post Likes
    Try using an analog meter. Digitals have known to not load a circuit when measuring AC voltages and giving us headaches.
    Doug

Post Likes
    What kind of thermostat, and when "the thermostat is off the wall," is the sub base still wired?

Post Likes
    Interesting thread, We had same problem with an X13 on a York Unit. Constant run. 16 Go Backs To Cst. House. Still never fixed problem.

Post Likes
    Why does the blower run continuously without a call from the thermostat on this York packaged unit?
    This usually indicates a limit has tripped.

Post Likes
    sounds like it could be bad module, never had one run constant though usually wont run at all, most x13 failures ive run across have been right at the start of cooling season or right at the start of heating season something with the humidity and moisture getting in the modules

Post Likes
    I've already replaced module. Same problem, constantly after call for cool ends. Sometimes Ill go out there and the system is off and the blower is on. I'm trying to understand why the limit would cause the blower to constantly run.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.charles View Post
    I've already replaced module. Same problem, constantly after call for cool ends. Sometimes Ill go out there and the system is off and the blower is on. I'm trying to understand why the limit would cause the blower to constantly run.
    Its a safety to cool off the heat exchanger.

Post Likes
    Its not a furnace

Post Likes
    To cool off the electric resistance heaters in a heat pump or electric furnace.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in