Need some assistance

I am in the final stages of completion of updating a control system at a site which has refrigeration, hvac VAV, CAV, Lighting ect. This is a supermarket with rack refrigeration. It's more than a typical big box store, as it is a corporate headquarters for the chain.

In my world our control systems for these are application specific, but as the days go by these types of controllers are becoming very robust for HVAC and Lighting too.

Before the upgrade, there was one system doing refrigeration, another for lighting and hvac. Essentially I have combined everything onto one system. Nothing fancy. Firing contactors for lighting through schedules and or light level integration, were doing simple CAV HVAC with Lennox 25 tonners, over LON to my controller. Some other crap. And of course all my refrigeration which has been extensively upgraded, lots of stuff like VFD's for my condensers, electronic evaporator pressure regulators, ect and so on.

So. What was in this deal for Lighting and HVAC was an N30, and DX's and AHU's. It's a very long story, but to sum it up, it was very poorly executed. To boot, the 20 or so HVAC contractors who promised they new how to get into this system, all had grand ideas how they were going to make this work right, and never did. We ourselves as the refrigeration contractor, with me, tried to get into this, but I never had the opportunity to really get into it. As the years have gone by and myself having gained much more exposure and experience with controls as I have grown into that role, I came to the conclusion that this deal was just not going to work, and as an upcoming remodel came on, we took the opportunity to get this gone.

I think, with the right mind, it could have been remedied. It has to do with the fact the terminal, the controller and access, that we all seem to ***** about. This was locked down from getting true access a long time ago, so anything that could be had was done through hyperterminal. I have come to learn the MTools were pirated. It is just a long story.

I am trying to teach myself BACNET. SO I have this box of crap laying around. What do I need to get into this with my laptop, how do I jailbreak this so I can wipe it, start a new program and simulate a building. I don't knbow JCI at all, but figure I can learn this on my own on my bench at home. I know this is antiquated. I get the fact that even all the new stuff is not like this. But you know, I wanna mess with it. if anything, it will get me a little bit firm with BACNET.

1 + 1 = 3 ( *** for very large values of 1)

...everybody wants a box of chocolates and long stemmed rose

I deal with JCI controls daily. If it's an N30 you have, I would toss it into the trash. I'm sure someone around here that cut their teeth on those POS's or that is a JCI fanboy will come along and get upset at me slamming that controller, but they are horrid controllers and were a waste of components that they are made of.

Obama would tell you to worship a meteor and pray to the East.
    Behind the ostensible government sits enthroned an invisible government owing no allegiance and acknowledging no responsibility to the people.

Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by noskilltech View Post
    I deal with JCI controls daily. If it's an N30 you have, I would toss it into the trash. I'm sure someone around here that cut their teeth on those POS's or that is a JCI fanboy will come along and get upset at me slamming that controller, but they are horrid controllers and were a waste of components that they are made of.
    Amen....i went through the same stuff as you mention...i have the Mtools and everything. I had a building which JCI installed the controls with canned programs and left....few years later...they calle dme with issues.....I called JCI to help give me a Kick start after 4 hrs i was training the tech......I sat down and spent days trying to figure it all out...and I did! amazing...But i cursed the day they installed these controls.

There are only 2 places N30s belong.

1. Small simple jobs as a time clock.
    2. Garbage cans

Without knowing what is in your box of crap i don't think anyone can point you in the right direction.