Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 LastLast
    Some folks are good at winning the battle (debate), yet loosing the war (run folks off and loose relationships).
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Some folks are good at winning the battle (debate), yet loosing the war (run folks off and loose relationships).
    Some folks take the third route - they pursue only the truth.

Now, ask Socrates or Jesus and folks like that how much the man on the street is interested in the truth. None the less - someone has to do it. I say that if you have the shoulders for the truth - then take the load - even though ultimately you have to take more than your share - the load must be borne.

Some folks THINK they are...

IN my 60 years I have yet to meet someone who is not capable of being deceived by their own mind...

Jesus said to seek GOD... and all other things would come. Translation: God FIRST...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

I always thought agnotics were those against a religion, vs a god, and athiests were unfortunately too blind to see and believe in christ, my counter to all non beleivers is this... " if you are right (your not) we both rot in dirt and thats the end of it. If I am right, the lord will welcome me into a eternity of love, and you will rot, somwhere far worse than the dirt!"

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

IN my 60 years I have yet to meet someone who is not capable of being deceived by their own mind...
    Some significantly more than others.

Quote Originally Posted by ReferYankee View Post
    I always thought agnotics were those against a religion, vs a god, and athiests were unfortunately too blind to see and believe in christ
    Fortunately Atheists see clearly that the evidence supporting the reality of these ancient myths is less than compelling.

my counter to all non beleivers is this... " if you are right (your not) we both rot in dirt and thats the end of it. If I am right, the lord will welcome me into a eternity of love, and you will rot, somwhere far worse than the dirt!"
    You and I will both rot in the ground or worse if you picked the wrong god to worship.

Personally, I'm not losing any sleep over it.

Quote Originally Posted by geerair View Post
    Fortunately Atheists see clearly that the evidence supporting the reality of these ancient myths is less than compelling.

You and I will both rot in the ground or worse if you picked the wrong god to worship.

Personally, I'm not losing any sleep over it.
    Not me, I given my body to medical science, I think they could do with a good laugh!

Some folks THINK they are...

This is one reason to study and do philosophy.

All humans are subject to the likes of cognitive illusions and it is trained philosophical thought that helps us overcome these.

A good example is the base rate fallacy overcome by Bayes Theorem.

Another method of easy demonstration is the Wasan selection task.

Even after university grads have included logic in their studies only 10% get the Wason selection task correct. This shows how prone we humans are to erroneous thinking.

The vast majority of the people select cards 1 and 3 whereas the correct cards to pick are 1 and 4. That is if the cards are laid out in the order of 1) Affirming the antecedent; 2) Denying the antecedent; 3) Affirming the consequent; 4) Denying the consequent.

http://www.philosophyexperiments.com/wason/

I want my 30 minutes back.

Quote Originally Posted by ReferYankee View Post
    I always thought agnotics were those against a religion, vs a god, and athiests were unfortunately too blind to see and believe in christ, my counter to all non beleivers is this... " if you are right (your not) we both rot in dirt and thats the end of it. If I am right, the lord will welcome me into a eternity of love, and you will rot, somwhere far worse than the dirt!"

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    I agree with this... however sometimes one can suggest the non-believer will learn first hand what "Dante's Inferno" is all about... NOT the way I want to spend eternity.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Quote Originally Posted by thermophysics View Post
    This is one reason to study and do philosophy.

All humans are subject to the likes of cognitive illusions and it is trained philosophical thought that helps us overcome these.

A good example is the base rate fallacy overcome by Bayes Theorem.

Another method of easy demonstration is the Wasan selection task.

Even after university grads have included logic in their studies only 10% get the Wason selection task correct. This shows how prone we humans are to erroneous thinking.

The vast majority of the people select cards 1 and 3 whereas the correct cards to pick are 1 and 4. That is if the cards are laid out in the order of 1) Affirming the antecedent; 2) Denying the antecedent; 3) Affirming the consequent; 4) Denying the consequent.

http://www.philosophyexperiments.com/wason/
    What is interesting about studying philosophy... One finally learns it is all a joke...

Then in their desire to learn truth... the find God and Christ... <grin>

The first seems to be a requirement for the second when one has a hyper-active brain...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

If logic was/is being taught at Universities, then why are they cranking out so many liberals?
    To put the world in order, we must first put the nation in order; to put the nation in order, we must put the family in order; to put the family in order, we must cultivate our personal life; and to cultivate our personal life, we must first set our hearts right.
    -- Confucius

Quote Originally Posted by barbar View Post
    Not me, I given my body to medical science, I think they could do with a good laugh!
    Here in the state of GA, we have an option with or driver license to check 'organ donor'... They will probably refuse this body I live in... it has too much mileage on it already... <grin>

Who was it that said something like: The goal is not to be properly manicured and preserved at (physical) death... rather be used up with an attitude of "Man what a ride"... <grin>
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 LastLast