Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 40 to 52 of 171
  1. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    1,051
    Quote Originally Posted by coolwhip View Post
    It was you....you have failed to sever that chord that connects your a$$ to your brain and you keep talking sheit.
    So he's farting music then?
    Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from. Al Franken, "Oh, the Things I Know", 2002

  2. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    1,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    Jibberish aside, I did not read the whole thing, I AM entitled to my opinion. I will own it as my own. Whether any philosopher, politician, prophet, wants to disagree it does not matter. I have an opinion. I can espouse my opinion or hide it, based upon personal discretion, but the opinion holds.

    In the USA, the first amendment promises a legal RIGHT to an opinion. That is just how it is, you do have a right to an opinion, that is the law of the land.
    I did a quick search for the 1st ammendment of your constitution and all I found was:

    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Nothing there about a legal right to an opinion.

    Did I miss something?

    Perhaps it's in the vide?
    Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from. Al Franken, "Oh, the Things I Know", 2002

  3. #42
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    3,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Slatts View Post
    I hope you aren't wedded to that belief hurtinhvac, because I'm going to have to disabuse you of it.

    I personally believe that the original post was one of the best that I've read on this forum.

    'Course, given some of the stuff I've read here, that's not saying much.
    And I, in turn, have no choice but to disappoint you - as it is indeed a pretty solid union.

    This is a simple case of progressive thought gone astray and entirely impractical. So uber philosophically minded and theory-laden that it will remain hopelessly academic with no practical application whatsoever. Unless, of course, you consider self-fancied, fumbling philosophers engaged in a circle jerk a practical endeavor. I do not.

    Not that it's badly written, mind you, nor without it's particular, albeit narrow intrigue. The author does a great job of exploring and articulating an interesting bit of insight concerning the manner in which people cling to their beliefs, and furthermore (and perhaps even darkly); whether they are entitled to...

    I personally find it both amusing and ironic that the OP, of whom I believe I can fairly state is quite humanistic in nature; would become enamored with a notion that is so completely bass ackwards of the the human experience.

    But what the hey...am I even truly entitled to even form an opinion here?

  4. #43
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Kaufman county, Texas
    Posts
    10,026
    or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech,

    That covers the legal protection of opinion. Not just having one, but expressing it.

    Plain as day.
    "You boys are really making this thing harder than it has to be". Me

    "Who ARE you people? And WHAT are you doing in my SWAMP!?" Shrek

    Service calls submitted after 3PM will be posted the next business day.

    I give free estimates [Wild Ass Guesses] over the phone.

    "I am sorry for interrupting, please continue with your quarreling" Some chick on TV

  5. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    1,051
    Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech,

    That covers the legal protection of opinion. Not just having one, but expressing it.

    Plain as day.
    OK, so it's the vibe...

    Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from. Al Franken, "Oh, the Things I Know", 2002

  6. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by Tool-Slinger View Post
    or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech,

    That covers the legal protection of opinion. Not just having one, but expressing it.

    Plain as day.
    That does not give you any right to your opinions. Only the liberty to express them.

  7. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Queensland, Australia
    Posts
    1,051
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    Do you take a sh*t or leave a sh*t?

    I don't believe anyone gives one anyway...

    Quote Originally Posted by Slatts View Post
    I hope you aren't wedded to that belief hurtinhvac, because I'm going to have to disabuse you of it.

    I personally believe that the original post was one of the best that I've read on this forum.

    'Course, given some of the stuff I've read here, that's not saying much.
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    And I, in turn, have no choice but to disappoint you - as it is indeed a pretty solid union.

    This is a simple case of progressive thought gone astray and entirely impractical. So uber philosophically minded and theory-laden that it will remain hopelessly academic with no practical application whatsoever. Unless, of course, you consider self-fancied, fumbling philosophers engaged in a circle jerk a practical endeavor. I do not.

    Not that it's badly written, mind you, nor without it's particular, albeit narrow intrigue. The author does a great job of exploring and articulating an interesting bit of insight concerning the manner in which people cling to their beliefs, and furthermore (and perhaps even darkly); whether they are entitled to...

    I personally find it both amusing and ironic that the OP, of whom I believe I can fairly state is quite humanistic in nature; would become enamored with a notion that is so completely bass ackwards of the the human experience.

    But what the hey...am I even truly entitled to even form an opinion here?
    As I demonstrably do give a ****, you can now see that your original belief, taking on board my comment, is wrong, and as a rational person, you'll now change your above stated belief.


    Everyone is entitled to an opinion hurtinhvac, but the rational man is ready to abandon or modify it when it's proven to be in opposition to the observed facts.
    Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from. Al Franken, "Oh, the Things I Know", 2002

  8. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Anderson, South Carolina, United States
    Posts
    6,793
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    And I, in turn, have no choice but to disappoint you - as it is indeed a pretty solid union.

    This is a simple case of progressive thought gone astray and entirely impractical. So uber philosophically minded and theory-laden that it will remain hopelessly academic with no practical application whatsoever. Unless, of course, you consider self-fancied, fumbling philosophers engaged in a circle jerk a practical endeavor. I do not.

    Not that it's badly written, mind you, nor without it's particular, albeit narrow intrigue. The author does a great job of exploring and articulating an interesting bit of insight concerning the manner in which people cling to their beliefs, and furthermore (and perhaps even darkly); whether they are entitled to...

    I personally find it both amusing and ironic that the OP, of whom I believe I can fairly state is quite humanistic in nature; would become enamored with a notion that is so completely bass ackwards of the the human experience.

    But what the hey...am I even truly entitled to even form an opinion here?
    You actually read the whole thing? I made it about 5 sentences before my opinion of it was "scroll through this load of crap"

  9. #48
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    3,334
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrammel View Post
    You actually read the whole thing? I made it about 5 sentences before my opinion of it was "scroll through this load of crap"
    Yours' was the wiser course of action, I assure you.

  10. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    2,183
    I do not want to give my opinion on this, as to date my wife has not yet told me what it is??????

  11. #50
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    3,334
    Quote Originally Posted by Slatts View Post
    As I demonstrably do give a ****, you can now see that your original belief, taking on board my comment, is wrong, and as a rational person, you'll now change your above stated belief.


    Everyone is entitled to an opinion hurtinhvac, but the rational man is ready to abandon or modify it when it's proven to be in opposition to the observed facts.
    Fair enough as stated directly above and in the presence of actual facts.

    However, in an unprecedented period of unabashed entitlement as we are seeing today; to the extent that many feel housing, food, cars, cell phones, big screen TVs etc should be a given - I hardly think it an accurate perception of current trends to champion a school of thought that would deny even your right to a simple opinion.

    There is the way the self-prescribed and comically "enlightened" people think things should be, and then there is the way things truly are. Never the twain shall meet...

  12. #51
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    3,334
    Quote Originally Posted by barbar View Post
    I do not want to give my opinion on this, as to date my wife has not yet told me what it is??????
    Wiser still Have a good evening all...gotta go start the movie before I get in trouble with mine.

  13. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    432
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    I hardly think it an accurate perception of current trends to champion a school of thought that would deny even your right to a simple opinion.
    No body has a right to their opinions - because no body has a duty to give them true opinions.

    However, the government does pro-actively secure everybody's right to express their opinions.

    But being ensured the liberty to express any opinion, so long as it is not something like shouting "fire" in a crowded hall, is not at all the same thing as having the right to any opinion.

    You see, when someone expresses a false opinion which is shown to be contrary to evidence or some such they might say something like "Yeah, well, I have a right to my opinion" and when they say this they do not mean "I have a right to express my opinion" which would be a weird thing to say - what they actually mean is that I have the right to consider all my opinions to be true.

    The problem then is that if they do have such a right then we have a duty to ensure that they have true opinions which means the the debate should continue - not stop - and continue until such time as their right has been fulfilled and the prior violation of that right - them holding a false opinion - is remedied by way of the continued debate.

    But they usually appeal to the fictional right just when they no longer want the discussion to continue - but they try stopping the discussion by appealing to the right which if existed then the conversation should in fact go on until their right is no longer being violated.

    You see - they would never admit to meaning that they have a right to hold false opinions so they should just be left with their false opinions. Even if they did there actually is no such right.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event