Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    But in response to capz I never heard of a hydro on a tank longer then 5 years.. I mean air is not corrosive and that needs to be done every 5 years..
    Typical high pressure steel cylinders for nitrogen, argon, etc every 10 yrs.

180.209 Requirements for requalification of specification cylinders.

(a) Periodic qualification of cylinders. (1) Each specification cylinder that becomes due for periodic requalification, as specified in the following table, must be requalified and marked in conformance with the requirements of this subpart. Requalification records must be maintained in accordance with 180.215. Table 1 follows:

(b) DOT 3A or 3AA cylinders. (1) A cylinder conforming to specification DOT 3A or 3AA with a water capacity of 56.7 kg (125 lb) or less that is removed from any cluster, bank, group, rack, or vehicle each time it is filled, may be requalified every ten years instead of every five years, provided the cylinder conforms to all of the following conditions:

(i) The cylinder was manufactured after December 31, 1945.

Quote Originally Posted by mspanky View Post
    Beverage grade co2 cannot be used as a refrigerant due to it's many contaminants. The grade used in racks is sometimes called Coleman grade.
    I recall in a Hill Phoenix Secondary class them saying that you could use bev grade CO2 if you didn't have any or couldn't get Coleman grade and it would be OK.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

But I've eaten and slept since then so.....
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Quote Originally Posted by Capz View Post
    Typical high pressure steel cylinders for nitrogen, argon, etc every 10 yrs.

180.209 Requirements for requalification of specification cylinders.

(a) Periodic qualification of cylinders. (1) Each specification cylinder that becomes due for periodic requalification, as specified in the following table, must be requalified and marked in conformance with the requirements of this subpart. Requalification records must be maintained in accordance with 180.215. Table 1 follows:

(b) DOT 3A or 3AA cylinders. (1) A cylinder conforming to specification DOT 3A or 3AA with a water capacity of 56.7 kg (125 lb) or less that is removed from any cluster, bank, group, rack, or vehicle each time it is filled, may be requalified every ten years instead of every five years, provided the cylinder conforms to all of the following conditions:

(i) The cylinder was manufactured after December 31, 1945.
    Interesting.. I learned something new. Thanks for posting the link.
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Beverage grade should NEVER be used with any CO2 refrigeration system!! There is to much moisture in a beverage grade CO2. You should use Coleman Grade or Instrument Grade, the idea grade should be 99.99% pure and free of moisture and non-condisables. With some secondary CO2 systems you can use industrial grade as long as its you run it though a liquid filter/dryer before you put it into you system. Please remember there are three types of CO2 system currently being used all over the world inculding the USA and Canada.

USA and Canada
    CO2 Secondary - Over 60 currently installed for low temp operating pressure's of 175 - 250 psig depending on load
    CO2 DX Cascade Systems - Over 50 currently installed. this is a cascade system using an HFC on the upper cascade and CO2 in the lower cascade operating pressure - 400 to 500 psig on the high side (+20 condensing) 200 - 250 psig (-20 SST)

Both of these systems are subcritical and use only copper pipe. Just like any refrigeration system we must use a dry system without non-condensables or moisture.

The last type of CO2 is Booster system they are the one's that operate at the highest pressures. They use black pipe or SS on the high side from the rack to the condensor/gas cooler back to the rack. They use L and K copper inside the store, but this type of system is HFC free. Can I get an AMEN!!!
    I use to be disgusted; Now Im just amused

Sounds like C02 as a purging/pressure test tool gets a failing grade.
    Maybe I should make the switch.
    I just purchased a new micron gauge and 1/2 evacuation manifold with 1/2 hoses!! (in the mail)
    Cant wait!

Only the science and medical Grade contains 0.000% moisture
    Also Co2 is a simple compressed gas so having a containment of it would be ridicules it would be so heavy it wouldnt make sense

so how much moisture is in nitrogen>?
    and why is IT so good for purging?

Quote Originally Posted by KickedGinger View Post
    so how much moisture is in nitrogen>?
    and why is IT so good for purging?
    Moisture in dry nitrogen is measured in ppm or parts of million.

You can check moisture content with a pittsburgh cup

Quote Originally Posted by eng&tech View Post
    With some secondary CO2 systems you can use industrial grade as long as its you run it though a liquid filter/dryer before you put it into you system.
    Both of these systems are subcritical and use only copper pipe. Just like any refrigeration system we must use a dry system without non-condensables or moisture.
    That's what they said in the class. Thanks for the refresher.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast