Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    It is in the installation instructions for each piece of equipment.
    For example, page 9 of the VRVIII-S outdoor unit installation instructions.
    http://www.daikinac.com/content/asse...l%20Manual.pdf

I think somewhere in the materials from one of the classes I went to, there is a set of instructions that shows every pipe size in one list, but I'm not sure where to even begin looking for it.
    I think I found it in one of their manuals for a marine unit.

"As you tighten the flare with a spanner, there will be a point at which the tightening torque increases suddenly. Further tighten the nut from that position using the tightening angles listed in the table."

The table lists 1/4"-3/4" if I'm not mistaken.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366984908.553476.jpg
Views: 652
Size:  50.1 KB
    http://www.daikin.com.sg/marine/oper...gUnit_RHSN.pdf

Going by that after hand tight, once you feel the pressure step up significantly then only do a 1/4 turn or less, 1/4 turn would equal 90* correct?

In my example I think I made up the 3/4 part, possible confusion with 1/4, but if your hand tight isn't completely snug then a 1/2 turn is possible because you have to get to the stepped up pressure first.

I learned a valuable lesson, don't post based off of a vague memory without double checking first ; ).

My apologies to anyone cranking a nut around today a full 3/4 turn after the stepped up pressure and splitting a flare.

Quote Originally Posted by mason View Post
    My apologies to anyone cranking a nut around today a full 3/4 turn after the stepped up pressure and splitting a flare.
    Just get a set of the torque wrenches, remove all doubt.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Just get a set of the torque wrenches, remove all doubt.
    Yeah... I think I'm putting that back on my tool list after this debacle...

It's a lot easier to just list a set amount of pressure.

Yeah... I think I'm putting that back on my tool list after this debacle...

It's a lot easier to just list a set amount of pressure.
    The kit Daikin sells has a preset wrench for each size, so there isn't even any setting to fuss with.

Diakin also has correction factors for torque wrenches with crows feet. If you buy the preset open end torque wrenches you can't use them to torque the head bolts on your car.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten". --Benjamin Franklin
    "Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". --Mark Twain
    http://www.campbellmechanical.com

Are we talking inch pounds or foot pounds. Bought a new inch pound wrench years ago when the NEC started listing torque specs for electrical panels and meters. So I wonder if I can use it. My big Snap On would be a bit cumbersome to use.

I guess feel is a lost art I use torque wrench as needed on critical rotating equipment.I say no developed feel use torquewrench

Quote Originally Posted by summerhelp View Post
    I guess feel is a lost art I use torque wrench as needed on critical rotating equipment.I say no developed feel use torquewrench
    I'll still be using feel for a while, the wrenches are low on my list.

I just had my info wrong. I don't pay attention to how far it turns, just what it feels like. Would be nice to have them though, especially on the engineered plans that require it. Haven't been called out on that yet but it's only a matter of time, especially if there is a leak down the road.

I'll still be using feel for a while, the wrenches are low on my list.

I just had my info wrong. I don't pay attention to how far it turns, just what it feels like. Would be nice to have them though, especially on the engineered plans that require it. Haven't been called out on that yet but it's only a matter of time, especially if there is a leak down the road.
    If no torque wrench pressurize to max test pressure and tighten till it stops leaking ;-)

united and cc dickson sell a kit with them in it for the mini splits

Just bought metric crow foot wrench and 3/8 torque wrench from Harbor Freight for less than $35.
    Probably find a better one at a pawn shop some time. If asked if I used a torque wrench I can smile
    and say yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by chillerout1 View Post
    united and cc dickson sell a kit with them in it for the mini splits

Quote Originally Posted by air1 View Post
    If you buy the preset open end torque wrenches you can't use them to torque the head bolts on your car.
    A torque wrench with a high enough scale to torque your car's head bolts wouldn't be very useful for torquing flare nuts anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by lytning View Post
    Just bought metric crow foot wrench and 3/8 torque wrench from Harbor Freight for less than $35.
    Probably find a better one at a pawn shop some time. If asked if I used a torque wrench I can smile
    and say yes.
    If you keep the crows foot at a 90 degree angle to the torque wrench you dont have to adjust the torque setting. It's only if you have it parallel you have to adjust torque because obviously it extends the lenghth of the wrench.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast