Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 41
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    miami,fl.
    Posts
    607

    flare nut torque wrenches

    can anybody post a link or give some info for some torque wrenches for the flare nuts? lets say I purchase a set can they be used for other units like r22 or would it be over tightened? really its only a matter of tightening enough to seal the pressurized gas and being that 410a is a higher pressure it should work. but my concern is it might be over tightened.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    winnipeg
    Posts
    1,330
    I Have never seen one.....
    it was working.... played with it.... now its broke.... whats the going hourly rate for HVAC repair

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Western, KY
    Posts
    3,098
    They have a set in the johnstone catalog.

    I'm not going to lie, I've never used a torque wrench. I don't know if the manufacturers teach this in class but I read in some Mitsubishi literature that you can cheat and just get it nice and hand tight then 1/2 turn with wrenches for smaller lines and 3/4 turn on larger lines. That's how I do it.

  4. #4
    Crows foot set and torque wrench or get the feel of what tight is

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    472
    I worked with a guy who over tightened a flare connection on a mitsubishi mini split, brand new install and completely stripped the brass connection on the unit.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,540
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyac1 View Post
    can anybody post a link or give some info for some torque wrenches for the flare nuts? lets say I purchase a set can they be used for other units like r22 or would it be over tightened? really its only a matter of tightening enough to seal the pressurized gas and being that 410a is a higher pressure it should work. but my concern is it might be over tightened.
    I don't think the pressure of the system affects the torque of the fastener. If you get one with SAE and metric wrench ends, you're golden for any and all flare nuts.

    Quote Originally Posted by summerhelp View Post
    Crows foot set and torque wrench or get the feel of what tight is
    If you go with the Crow's foot wrenches, remember that you may need to adjust the torque setting depending on the length or angle of the crow's foot adapter to the wrench.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Atlanta GA area
    Posts
    21,015
    Over-tightening can crush the tubing at the edge of the flare... thus weakening the tubing.
    Under-tightening will result in a leak.

    Either way... one risks a leak... which is DEATH for a mini...

    Best to use the tools recommended.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

    Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

    Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

    2 Chronicles 7:14

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3,108
    Going an extra 1/2 to 3/4 turn on any flare is too tight, IMO. If your flares have that much slop in them, then you're doing it wrong.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

    -Thomas Jefferson

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Western, KY
    Posts
    3,098
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    Going an extra 1/2 to 3/4 turn on any flare is too tight, IMO. If your flares have that much slop in them, then you're doing it wrong.
    Hmm I'm trying to think if a actually do an exact amount like a 1/2 turn... I go to the pressure I feel I've been doing with no leaks but I will keep track on my next one and see how far I turn it, I'll just mark one face with a sharpie and see where it ends up. I did read that info somewhere from I believe Mitsubishi when I was trying to decide if I needed torque wrenches.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,914
    Daikin gives you exact instructions for how far to tighten each size of flare fitting past the point where it starts to get snug, but they very strongly recommend using torque wrenches.
    They have a kit available with a fixed torque wrench for each fitting size.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Western, KY
    Posts
    3,098
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    Daikin gives you exact instructions for how far to tighten each size of flare fitting past the point where it starts to get snug, but they very strongly recommend using torque wrenches.
    They have a kit available with a fixed torque wrench for each fitting size.
    Do you have that info handy?

    I've been looking on mylinkdrive.com but it's only turning up torque.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,914
    Quote Originally Posted by mason View Post
    Do you have that info handy?

    I've been looking on mylinkdrive.com but it's only turning up torque.
    It is in the installation instructions for each piece of equipment.
    For example, page 9 of the VRVIII-S outdoor unit installation instructions.
    http://www.daikinac.com/content/asse...l%20Manual.pdf

    I think somewhere in the materials from one of the classes I went to, there is a set of instructions that shows every pipe size in one list, but I'm not sure where to even begin looking for it.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,540
    http://www.cpsproducts.com/product/h...-bags-tlb410a/


    Here's a mini split "kit" with a flare nut torque wrench included.

    A little searching will find more like it in both pre-set models and adjustable models.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event