Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 27 to 35 of 35
  1. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Guayaquil EC
    Posts
    10,480
    Quote Originally Posted by Grayline View Post
    On the really tough ones I spray a solution of 75% CLR and water let sit for 45 min, and GONE.... go over scaly portions and brush With a quickie brush from HD one I designate strictly for ice machines then soak parts in bucket of same then run everything thru dish machine while hosing and brushing evaps. I even open up shaver head and pour thru top and let sit. Just make sure you get it all out...
    CLR has some of the same chemical as nickel safe but nickel safe has a non foaming agent CLR does not. But what I did find in a manitowoc it foams up nicely and just sits on the scale...
    Quote Originally Posted by lytning View Post
    Thought about CLR, but haven't tried it yet. White vinegar is food safe and seems to go after calcium and lime. Just wondering if any one else uses it.
    I wouldn't recommend using anything like CLR...except for possibly the removeable components like the water curtain, distribution tube, etc.

    I replaced an evaporator on a G600 Manitowoc some years back for a customer who had a particularly bad mineral scale problem. A few months later he called saying he had just cleaned it but the machine wasn't harvesting right.

    I got there and saw the evaporator was all blackened with bits of green. He has used CLR and now that new evap was toast.

    About 5 years ago, another customer ruined a Q420 doing the same thing.

  2. #28
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,397
    thanks icemeister..

    i had a customer that cleaned his ice machines with muriatic acid.......
    Let's give nukes a chance.

  3. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    266
    Quote Originally Posted by icemeister View Post
    I wouldn't recommend using anything like CLR...except for possibly the removeable components like the water curtain, distribution tube, etc.

    I replaced an evaporator on a G600 Manitowoc some years back for a customer who had a particularly bad mineral scale problem. A few months later he called saying he had just cleaned it but the machine wasn't harvesting right.

    I got there and saw the evaporator was all blackened with bits of green. He has used CLR and now that new evap was toast.

    About 5 years ago, another customer ruined a Q420 doing the same thing.
    Agreed, not on the water circuit, or ice production areas. Lime solvent just on the white flaky stuff on the exterior of the machine if they are concerned with cosmetics. Never on the water circuit of those evaporators don't stand a chance.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

  4. #30
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,397
    ice probes on a manitowoc is a good example i can soak them all day in their cleaner and it won't budge the buildup we get where i live..yet if i use something stronger it wipes out the probe..
    Let's give nukes a chance.

  5. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    266
    On those Manitowoc probes. It is better to just replace them if they are bad enough. I've had few of them go bad after trying to clean them.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

  6. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    802
    You COULD clean an ice machine with hydrochloric (muriatic) acid, or any other acid, really. Scale is alkaline, so any acid will dissolve it. An inhibited hydrochloric acid properly diluted should work well. Not sure if it is food safe though, and it is decidedly more dangerous to handle. I would bet that some ice machine cleaners might have a touch of hydrochloric in them.

  7. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    802
    Quote Originally Posted by phxhvac View Post
    On those Manitowoc probes. It is better to just replace them if they are bad enough. I've had few of them go bad after trying to clean them.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Unless you physically broke the probe, it probably wasn't bad. Most commercial descalers are highly conductive, so just a tiny little bit left where the probe attaches to the plastic will cause the probe to ground out. I have had techs go crazy dipping probes in ever-increasing cups of descaler and call me in a panic because the machine would constantly sense ice afterwards. A lot of the time just dipping the entire probe in a cup of plain water a few times will rinse off the cleaner residue well enough to make it all well again.

  8. #34
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,397
    Quote Originally Posted by phxhvac View Post
    On those Manitowoc probes. It is better to just replace them if they are bad enough. I've had few of them go bad after trying to clean them.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

    exactlly, whats up with that??
    Let's give nukes a chance.

  9. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Newnan Ga,
    Posts
    181
    Quote Originally Posted by MicahWes View Post
    Unless you physically broke the probe, it probably wasn't bad. Most commercial descalers are highly conductive, so just a tiny little bit left where the probe attaches to the plastic will cause the probe to ground out. I have had techs go crazy dipping probes in ever-increasing cups of descaler and call me in a panic because the machine would constantly sense ice afterwards. A lot of the time just dipping the entire probe in a cup of plain water a few times will rinse off the cleaner residue well enough to make it all well again.
    Exxxxactly. I myself have ran into this when a customer used bleach to clean ice machine.. it reeked it took about an hour to c?lean it all out... you could touch the plastic of the probe and it would make continuity. I added warm vinegar to clear up my problem ..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event