+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ice machine cleaner

Post Likes

Hmm ice machine cleaner

i don't know why i buy the stuff, it doesn't work...i just finished cleaning 3 scotsman ice machines..
    i could have used my brushes and some warm water and done as good...or so it seems.

thoughts..
    Let's give nukes a chance.

Post Likes
    Are you talking about descaler? If there is scale, descalers do work (some better than others). If you just need to clean slime and mold, then descaler won't help you.

Post Likes
    Are you sure you are seeing scale? Could you be seeing missing plating?

Post Likes
    yes its a mineral deposit..white, and can be scraped off..im using manotowocs stuff.

In a kitchen with my head stuck in an oven
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by primmers View Post
    yes its a mineral deposit..white, and can be scraped off..im using manotowocs stuff.
    Well don't do any scraping!

Yes, the stuff is really a descaler - which is a must where I'm at due to the hardness of the water.

I never understood why they call it a cleaner. It's a DESCALER, with a next step still needed to SANITIZE to get rid of the biological growth. THAT'S the cleaner.

I won't use any of the generic cleaners...uh...I mean DESCALERS like NuCalgon or others. They get aeriated by the pump, foam up and create a horrid mess.

Post Likes
    i don't scrape the evaporator,,the manotowoc cleaner doesn't touch the scale that i see.

Post Likes
    Try using warm/hot water?

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    yes..ive soaked ice probes in every amount including a 100% solution ..with warm water as well...

Post Likes
    There's only one way to clean an ice machine as far as I am concerned. Take the darn think apart and clean parts / hoses, etc. in warm soapy water. I like to use a gentle solution of xxxxx. Remove all the mold & muck, use soft bristle brushes dipped in the solution and brush away the mold from inside the evaps. Hoshizaki's are a *****. Manotowoc's are much easier to get clean on the inside. Reach in underneath and clean the bottom. This is IMPORTANT. An inspector only needs to use a mirror & flashlight to see what is going on up inside the machine. Use a garden hose connected to a mop sink to spray down machine if possible. Otherwise use cold water from a pump sprayer to wash into bin. Wash & sanitize bin last. Put all parts back together again. And test the ice. Share some with your favorite kitchen employee!

For brushes I use dedicated brushes you would use to clean boilers. For cleaner I use, well I'd rather not say but it works well and is cheap. Forget about the lime build up. It will never come off short of scraping which creates new issues.

My .02

Post Likes
    I use it full concentration out of the bottle with a sprayer and it works great. Spray a tough spot and when it's done bubbling spay again. If you are cutting it with water it doesn't take much to fizzle out the reaction.

Post Likes
    the manotowoc cleaner says to delete for best results..my problem is not cleaning the ice machine but rather how to cut through
    the scale/lime/alkali/hard water marks..ive used it full strength without positive results.

I'm under the impression that anything harsher than ice machine cleaner harms the nickel plating..

Post Likes
    There is no easy button to set it and forget it.
    I was going to shoot a video today of how well the stuff cuts on some tough stuff.
    They make 3 kinds now
    Could you have one of the weaker solutions or is it possible it was cut before you got it.
    When you spray it on full strength you almost need a gas mask and full PPE it attacks scale so well now.
    I hate cleaning ice machines and it takes a long time but I don't agree with what you are saying about the cleaner. Something is not right.

Post Likes
    itsiceman, are you talking about the manotowoc cleaner?? i buy the stuff in gallon jugs, and use it straight and mixed..

Post Likes
    Anyone try white vinegar?

Quote Originally Posted by primmers View Post
    itsiceman, are you talking about the manotowoc cleaner?? i buy the stuff in gallon jugs, and use it straight and mixed..

Post Likes
    What about nickel safe ice machine cleaner?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    And lime solvent for the compressor area where that white crud forms. Oh and a gasket scraper when it softens up.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    I'm under the impression that anything harsher than ice machine cleaner harms the nickel plating..[/QUOTE]

as am I. I've cleaned a lot of machines, used a lot of cleaner, a toothbrush, towel, a toilet bowl brush for the bin is about as "harsh" as i ever felt "save" using. I have cleaned, run the cleaning cycle multiple times, even soaked it overnight. But I would not feel good using anything but the approved cleaner and sanitizer. I am a HUGE fan of water filtraton/treatment.

Post Likes
    Yep the way the formula is now works about as good as Lime a way IMO
    Years ago it wasn't that great.
    Has your jug been around on the shelf a while?
    If some has been in my truck a while it seems less green. Maybe there is a shelf life or something.

Post Likes
    Oops should have quoted
    That was for Primmers

Post Likes
    i go through a gallon of manotowoc ice machine cleaner about every 6 months so its not old..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in