Tech-mate
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tech-mate

Tech-mate

I have had a Tech-mate leak detector for about 3 years. I have been able to find r-22 leaks with no problems, but 410 leaks it could not find too well. I was in the market for a new detector until I ran across a youtube video that stated that there was a new sensor available for the tech-mate that was better at finding 410 leaks.

Anyway, I bought the $50 sensor...it's black and not silver like the old one. Bam, it found a leak right away on a system that was leaking 2 lbs a year. Granted, I was unable to find leaks of 4 lbs a year before even when the detector was new. I hope that I can find the 1 lb a year leak and I will be happy.

Just letting you know that the newer black sensor is good so far.

I ound out this past week that it's easier to put a unit in the heat pump mode when searching for leaks.
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by jcbecker View Post
    I have had a Tech-mate leak detector for about 3 years. I have been able to find r-22 leaks with no problems, but 410 leaks it could not find too well. I was in the market for a new detector until I ran across a youtube video that stated that there was a new sensor available for the tech-mate that was better at finding 410 leaks.

Anyway, I bought the $50 sensor...it's black and not silver like the old one. Bam, it found a leak right away on a system that was leaking 2 lbs a year. Granted, I was unable to find leaks of 4 lbs a year before even when the detector was new. I hope that I can find the 1 lb a year leak and I will be happy.

Just letting you know that the newer black sensor is good so far.
    Infijunk had its day, their products are progressively becoming crappier, there are so many good leak detectors, why settle for the bare minimum?

I was using a CPI leak seeker before this and served me very well for r-22 leaks. Johnstone talked me into this model a few years ago. If this doesn't pan out for future leaks, I will junk it and get something else. I am doing 3 leak searches tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by jcbecker View Post
    I was using a CPI leak seeker before this and served me very well for r-22 leaks. Johnstone talked me into this model a few years ago. If this doesn't pan out for future leaks, I will junk it and get something else. I am doing 3 leak searches tomorrow.
    Keep us posted if you dont mind. I too have a tek mate and would be very interested in an updated sensor. I also have a H10 pm but the tek mate has served me well over the years with R22. But like you not so much with 410.

Good to know. I have a tek-mate also.
    I miss you mom and dad.

I have a tekmate I purchase a few months ago. I haven't been into service that long so I didn't invest a bunch of money into one. just knew from other techs that it was reliable for the cost. mine works awesome with 22 or 410. the only thing I don't like is it that even on low its to sensitive to pin point leaks unless they are very small. so if I have a good size leak that isn't visible I end up going thro half a bottle of soap bubbles to verify its location. but for under 200 bucks I don't think you can beat it.
    "only 2 tools any man needs is wd40 and duct tape. if it moves and it shouldn't use the duct tape. if it doesn't move and should, use the wd40" -unknown

Quote Originally Posted by SCtech33 View Post
    I have a tekmate I purchase a few months ago. I haven't been into service that long so I didn't invest a bunch of money into one. just knew from other techs that it was reliable for the cost. mine works awesome with 22 or 410. the only thing I don't like is it that even on low its to sensitive to pin point leaks unless they are very small. so if I have a good size leak that isn't visible I end up going thro half a bottle of soap bubbles to verify its location. but for under 200 bucks I don't think you can beat it.
    when it triggers, hold it there and let it recalibrate itself.
    Doug

The new black sensor has the same part number. The way to tell the difference is the new one is packaged in a blue package while the old one is in a white package.
    Doug

Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    Infijunk had its day, their products are progressively becoming crappier, there are so many good leak detectors, why settle for the bare minimum?
    What leak detector do you like and use? I like my D-tek when i comes to the inficon. I also LOVE my h10-g battery powered detector. If all else fails out comes the H10 and game OVER. I just wish that the H-10 had a firm wand for easier checking in hard to reach places.

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT THE PART NUMBER IS FOR THE BLACK INFICON TEK-MATE SENSOR IS PLEASE!?

Quote Originally Posted by Nytefog View Post
    What leak detector do you like and use? I like my D-tek when i comes to the inficon. I also LOVE my h10-g battery powered detector. If all else fails out comes the H10 and game OVER. I just wish that the H-10 had a firm wand for easier checking in hard to reach places.

CAN SOMEONE TELL ME WHAT THE PART NUMBER IS FOR THE BLACK INFICON TEK-MATE SENSOR IS PLEASE!?
    703-020-G1 same number but in the blue package. The white package is the older ones.
    Doug

Just got me the Tek-mate also which I found the best price from the Johnstone, and was glad to find that it came with the upgraded sensor already. I have no problem buying pricy tools but from what I've read from reviews about the more expensive digital leak detectors, I'm still not convinced that they are worth buying at a high price. They all have their issues and are not that reliable one way or the other. All things considered, I think the Tek-mate is the best pick for me, for checking 22 and 410-A, imho. I just hope it will work as the reviews say it does.

I don't like using it . For 1 ive been shocked too many times trusting it. Also, it serves no purpose in troubleshooting. You wave that around a contactor and it beeps. Ok we have voltage. Spend 20 minutes looking in to everything and when you finally decided to check it out with a good old meter you find a missing leg. Or on the low voltage end of things a common is missing but your getting a voltage indication. So why buy something that your always going to need to re check with your meter anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast