Advise on sizing a whole house electronic air cleaner.

Hello. I am looking to purchase and install the Honeywell F300 air cleaner for my home and need assistance which size I should purchase.

The F300E1001 is 16x20 and is rated at 1200CFM with opening of 14-7/16 x 18-1/4
    The F300E1035 is 20x25 and is rated at 2000CFM with opening of 18-7/16 x 23-1/4

My air conditioner is either a 3 or 3.5 ton. Not sure what other variables are needed to choose the correct sized unit. Not that this matters, but the cutout on the side of my furnace is 14-7/8 x 23-3/4.

Thank you for the assistance!
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by DKMoore View Post
    Hello. I am looking to purchase and install the Honeywell F300 air cleaner for my home and need assistance which size I should purchase.

The F300E1001 is 16x20 and is rated at 1200CFM with opening of 14-7/16 x 18-1/4
    The F300E1035 is 20x25 and is rated at 2000CFM with opening of 18-7/16 x 23-1/4

My air conditioner is either a 3 or 3.5 ton. Not sure what other variables are needed to choose the correct sized unit. Not that this matters, but the cutout on the side of my furnace is 14-7/8 x 23-3/4.

Thank you for the assistance!
    Don
    Chose the 16x25 size. a 3.5 ton a/c need 1400 cfms. Also make sure it has the post filter system. its a green looking filter that can be optional. it make an electronic air filter 17% more efficient. I personally would never have an electronic air filter in my home. They produce ozone, which isn't good for plants and can be bad for people.Plus they are a pain to clean.They do work though.
    As iron sharpens iron so one man sharpens another Proverbs 27:17 NIV84

I've always opted to go larger on air cleaners. Even when I sold them. There is not much difference in the prices. They must be installed properly or else they will produce ozone. I've never had an ozone problem with my old Honeywell (20"x25") EAC. It was still working but I installed a Carrier Infinity Air Purifier (20"x25" for a 2.5 ton) to replace it when they became available and again, no problems with ozone. But it is installed (above and beyond) correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    I've always opted to go larger on air cleaners. Even when I sold them. There is not much difference in the prices. They must be installed properly or else they will produce ozone. I've never had an ozone problem with my old Honeywell (20"x25") EAC. It was still working but I installed a Carrier Infinity Air Purifier (20"x25" for a 2.5 ton) to replace it when they became available and again, no problems with ozone. But it is installed (above and beyond) correctly.

Thank you for the replies. What can vary during the installation that would cause an increase in the Ozone? The Honeywell unit has "shorting bar to reduce ozone production". Why wouldn't this always be in the correct position to reduce ozone and why would it even be an option not to have it in the reducing position? I am now a little worried about doing the install myself or at all. How do I know if the ozone is high after the install?

Thank you...
    ...dkm

Quote Originally Posted by DKMoore View Post
    Thank you for the replies. What can vary during the installation that would cause an increase in the Ozone? The Honeywell unit has "shorting bar to reduce ozone production". Why wouldn't this always be in the correct position to reduce ozone and why would it even be an option not to have it in the reducing position? I am now a little worried about doing the install myself or at all. How do I know if the ozone is high after the install?

Thank you...
    ...dkm
    You will smell the ozone if it isn't installed properly. Follow the instructions and you should be okay.

use turning vanes or mount the unit horizontaly

Why not install a large 24X24X4 merv 11 air filter and forget about any potiential health problem with even light doses of ozone. A fresh air change in 4-5 hours during calm moderater weather would make it perfect. 20 years ago, ozone was in. We found that sensitive occupants had problems. I would avoid exposure unless you had a specific problem that really needed strong medeation.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"