Thread: What are they buying?

Post Likes

What are they buying?

Looking over my parents paperwork for there soon to be installed heating/ac system.
    They agreed to buy a Trane XV80 furnace along with XB13 condenser. The model numbers the salesman sent over dont look right to me. Was wondering if someone could make sense of what they are actually buying.

Model 4TTB3042D1000B
    Model TUD1C100A9481A
    Model 4TXCC043BC3HCA

Thats all it says along with all the install and legal info.

Thanks.

Post Likes
    That's a XR80 Furnace, not vairable speed blower, so only 13 SEER. Plus it's single stage, not 2 stage like the XV80. With the XV80 the AC should be 14 SEER.

Have they done a load calculation? How do you know 100k and 3.5 tons is the correct size? Have they improved windows or insulation in the house since hte last system was installed? DId the old system run continously on hte hottest or coldest days? What was the furnace effciency of hte current system? The new furnaces need more airflow in many cases. It could be noisy. A 100k furnace is a very large furnace. It can easily heat a 3000sqft home with good insulation in many parts of the country.

Any chance this was Home Depot or Sears selling this?

Post Likes
    The XR80 is quite a bit cheaper than the XV80. I think almost 1/2 the equipment price.

Post Likes
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. The answer to all your questions are "I dont know, probably not. Its also not home depot or sears, they called 3 of the large hvac companies around here and hired one of them. Looking at all the estimates it appears that all 3 recommended similar models. all the same size. Im in a tough spot, Im an hour away, plus no matter what dad, does not like taking advice from his child.

I will call the salesman and find out why the difference between the estimate and contract.

Quote Originally Posted by motoguy128 View Post
    That's a XR80 Furnace, not vairable speed blower, so only 13 SEER. Plus it's single stage, not 2 stage like the XV80. With the XV80 the AC should be 14 SEER.
    Have they done a load calculation? How do you know 100k and 3.5 tons is the correct size? Have they improved windows or insulation in the house since hte last system was installed? DId the old system run continously on hte hottest or coldest days? What was the furnace effciency of hte current system? The new furnaces need more airflow in many cases. It could be noisy. A 100k furnace is a very large furnace. It can easily heat a 3000sqft home with good insulation in many parts of the country.
    Any chance this was Home Depot or Sears selling this?

Post Likes
    I've found it's hard to convince a lot of folks that are 50+ years old that bigger is not better. They somehow grew up with the expectation of having really hot or cold air blasting out of ducts when it's cold or hot outside being a good thing. Comfort is the opposite, the least amount of air needed to maintain nice even temperatures.

My father in low cannot be convinced that a 60k furnace running for 25 minutes puts out exactly the sme heat as a 100k furnace running for 15 minutes. But the first example needs only about 950 CFM vs 1500CFM. Gues which heats more evenly and is quieter.

Post Likes
    Its good to know at least someone understands my situation. I called the salesman, and an error was made somewhere. No one is taking responsibility and Im not looking to place blame but he agreed to replace the xr80 with XV80 model furnace as originally agreed on in the estimate. I suppose Im going to drive out there and make sure the right one actually gets installed.

Im guessing it should be easy to tell if these units are new and not re-conditioned/used right?

Motoguy - Thank you for helping me out I really appreciate it.

Post Likes
    No contractor in their right mind would try to pass off a used unit as a new one, I wouldn't worry about that.

Post Likes
    when you make the dirve, get the model numbers of the
    equipment, that way you can verify on the ari site just
    what was installed.

good to know you are looking out for your folks.

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Post Likes
    Model number of XV80 should be TUD2C100A9V4
    Check out my YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/skyheating1 We have customer testimonials, product reviews and more!
    Like us on FACEBOOK if you like our advice here!

Post Likes
    Thanks everyone I owe ya all.

Drove out there this morning and met with the installers. They are great. Model numbers all match up to the estimates. Cut the stickers right off the box, then they brought it up themselves on there phones. Thank you again for making my life a little easier.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in