Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Touch panels

Quote Originally Posted by noskilltech View Post
    To be honest, I didn't realize that the L-VIS had dual network adapters.
    If you read the description, it doesn't actually have dual network adaptors. It has two ports and a built-in network switch. No different than any other device with a single NIC plugged into an external switch, in terms of redundancy...

A dual adaptor device can be identified by having to set two IP addresses. Not so with the L-VIS.

Quote Originally Posted by DDC_Dan View Post
    If you read the description, it doesn't actually have dual network adaptors. It has two ports and a built-in network switch. No different than any other device with a single NIC plugged into an external switch, in terms of redundancy...

A dual adaptor device can be identified by having to set two IP addresses. Not so with the L-VIS.
    Really? Maybe you would like to explain why it has two ports if it is no different than a single port switched device.
    Is it for looks?

Quote Originally Posted by acddc View Post
    Is it for looks?
    Nope, it's for daisy-chaining multiple devices together without having to add a switch. The switch is built-in.

Redundancy of network wiring infrastructure.

Quote Originally Posted by DDC_Dan View Post
    Nope, it's for daisy-chaining multiple devices together without having to add a switch. The switch is built-in.
    Did you ever install one?
    It's not just for daisy chaining because the idea is you actually make a loop for redundant ethernet communication. In your post in #14 you said there was no difference in redundancy but that is totally wrong.

When you get one to try out you will also find out you can turn that port into a hub for wireshark. Or, use the MSTP packet capture on the device or even live capture via IP. The panel also has a built in MSTP/IP router.

If you wanted, now you could even get HMI to your smart phone or tablet.

Quote Originally Posted by noskilltech View Post
    To be honest, I didn't realize that the L-VIS had dual network adapters. I've sold and installed a few L-INX in the past, but never had a use for the L-VIS till now. While having to build separate graphics, is a bit redundant, it fits my need and the price is right. Thanks guys!
    You can run LWEB projects on LVIS now. Except for the small ones I think.

Quote Originally Posted by acddc View Post
    Did you ever install one?
    It's not just for daisy chaining because the idea is you actually make a loop for redundant ethernet communication. In your post in #14 you said there was no difference in redundancy but that is totally wrong.

When you get one to try out you will also find out you can turn that port into a hub for wireshark. Or, use the MSTP packet capture on the device or even live capture via IP. The panel also has a built in MSTP/IP router.

If you wanted, now you could even get HMI to your smart phone or tablet.
    Hi acddc,

I have used an L-VIS (the BACnet flavored one), but have not used both network ports. It's true, you can create a ring topology, but only if you use a switch that supports Spanning Tree Protocol. There's still just one IP, so an IP conflict, for instance, would mess up communications to the device, where true dual nic's (each with a different IP) would still allow comm. I think it's just a question of semantics. The folks I sometimes have to deal with would not consider the two ports truly redundant, since they share an IP. No worries.

I liked the L-Vis but it was stand alone.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12